MHP Security -surveillance system, other inquirey

Hey all, I’m considering installing a video surveillance system in our MHP (some tenants have been victimized lately by robbery). Does anyone know which types of systems are better than others? I would think something with good resolution, good back-up, some type of night vision maybe, along with means to view 24/7 on your PC via internet.

What other types of measures would be helpful to make the park a safer place for the tenants? Someone mentioned an electronic gate (the park has one entrance), I’ve got to admit, making a trailer park into a “gated community” does sound like a step up… anyway, all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks -james

James unfortunately every instance of break ins to occupied homes from my experience has been committed by someone living in the park or right adjacent to the property… I have seen a couple vacant units damaged by people from outside though. Just wanna open your eyes to a potential problem that might not be as far removed as you might think.

As for security, I’ve been trying to make my homes more secure opposed to setting up security systems. Cameras and security equipment are extremely expensive and cost prohibitive on the smaller parks I work with. Dual deadbolts have stopped every problem I’ve had to date, I have also used a stainless steel plate that slips between the doorknob and the door to keep people from popping the lock with great success. They do make very real looking false mount cameras that might be a deterrent and I

I bought a 4 camera system with DVR from Amazon for less than $600 and have been pretty happy with it. It was easy to install, and using our current settings we can record for a week before it writes over the data. It has motion sensors to conserve memory, you can view it over the internet if you have a broadband connection. You can also password protect the data.

When I first started researching cameras and systems I was overwhelmed, but I have no complaints about what I purchased, and I’ve installed them at two facilities so far.

Hope this helps.

Lin

I will, eventually, put a camera system in my community. The cost of them just keeps dropping and the equipment is getting better all the time. Shop around and find a company that really knows what it is doing. Then take their recommendations and do some legwork (research) on your own. If you really want good equipment, ask about such things as low-light, zoomable and pannable. Such abilities could mean covering more of the park with fewer cameras.

One big problem I have and you may also face is that there is no way for me to link the cameras by wire. Anything I do must be wireless. The cost skyrockets.

Rolf

Wheat Hill MHC

(330) 426-9558

Neighborhood watch programs can be very effective, check with your local law enforcement.

I’d love to hear about a gated entry if anyone has done it or has experience with it.

Thanks for asking the question. This is good information!

Thanks all, your awesome as usual -james

Check out this website: www.q-see.com the company is QSee and they have some great products and prices. They offer complete packages as well as some build your own options if you are at all computer savvy. They also offer their products through Costco.

James,

Our company specializes in installing video surveillance system cost effectively for MHP. We recently installed video surveillance systems at 3 Texas MHP and 1 Florida Self Storage owned and managed by Corey & Blake Donaldson. Currently, I am working on 2 Georgia MHP also managed by them and Steve Case. Shoot me an email at sales@totalsecurityvision.com so that I can send you information on DVR systems and also discuss what are the best ways to install video surveillance system for MHP. Most of our customers have saved thousands of dollars using our services.

Mohammad Ullah

Total Security Vision

PH: 4074098475

Post Edited (08-23-08 15:25)

Rolf,

Wireless video surveillance is not recommended for MHP due to security and wireless range issues. The cost of decent wireless systems are quite high and quality is also not that great either. We specialize in installing video surveillance systems for MHP. The best way is to run wires underground using RG6 and CAT 5 (range upto 1000 feet or more using boosters) cables. Most of our customers have saved thousands of dollars on video surveillance for MHP and self storage. Send me an email at sales@totalsecurityvision.com for more information on DVR systems.

Mohammad Ullah

Total Security Vision

PH: 4074098475

I would too Rick, but no one seems to want to respond to the question regarding electronic gates.

I’ll respond - I plan to put them in at both parks I bought in the last 12 months in Wisconsin. We always had them at apartments in California - yes they are mainly a psychological benefit but I think it’s a nice amenity for residents that creates perceived value.

Thanks Ivan,
Do you reset the gate code every time a tenant leaves or is evicted?
Thanks

In the old days no - we had traditional wireless “clickers” at one complex and I believe magnetic key cards at another. Now I imagine things have gone higher tech and maybe systems have individual codes that can be deactivated upon move-out for one person.