How to get new homes into a park

I have an older park near several small towns but not located in a high population density area. I have infrastructure in place to accommodate substantially more trailers but don’t have the free cash to mass purchase/move/install them. The area has two large projects slated to substantially increase jobs in the area over the next several years. It is anticipated the population will increase accordingly in the area. Does anyone have experience getting larger volumes of mobile homes into your community without significant capital cost? I don’t want to try poaching from other MH communities in the area. The ways I can think of are:

• pay to move an individual’s trailer to the park and lock it in for a five year term
  • offer discounted space rent in exchange for an individual moving their home to us, again for a fixed minimum time period (3-5yrs)
  • allow mobile home manufacturers to place homes on our lot with no space rent due until the home is sold
  • same as above, but for individual investors with multiple homes or mobile home refurbishers
    Ideally it would be one of the latter two options but I don’t know how realistic those options are. Anyway, thoughts and experience are much appreciated. Thanks everyone!
1 Like

The least expensive out of pocket ways: bandit signs / sandwich boards out on the street (if those are allowed by city ordinance), put an ad on craigslist advertising your park, snap a pic of the entry, write in the sizes of the lots (in feet like “I have 20 - 80 foot by 40 foot lots that would hold up to a 28 foot double wide or double wide offset” (if that is within your city code setbacks), the parameters of the park as far as rent cost, any amenities your park has, city water or well, sewer or septic, playground, clubhouse, monthly events and drawings, stuff like that… make the marketing ad fresh and eye catching, put in proximity to local grocery, hospital, free way, bus depot, airport, schools, and re-post it once a week to keep it fresh.
Put in your contact information for your office, email and phone, the basics.
Put an ad on mh village as well - people look at the village and craigslist for finding a spot for a house, besides driving around… and make sure you can be found on google and make sure your entry has some kind of street frontage sign or no one will ever find you.

You don’t have to undercut yourself to get people in, there just has to be a reason they want to live there… so make sure the place is clean, trash free, kept up, good curb appeal, if you have a manager on site they are professional as well as professionally dressed, and your current tenants are keeping up their homes and lots.

Did you talk to the big jobs coming into the area? The staffing manager would probably be greatful for ideas on where to let their new staff know where there is local available housing options.

I see the post was put up almost a year ago, what happened since?