Grandfathering assistance in Florida

Anyone know a good attorney to use for a grandfathering issue with a city? Park is in Highlands county and the city zoning position is standard. Once you take homes out you can’t put new ones in because it is zoned R1. Park is over 50 years old and has operated as a park consistently. Is licensed through the state health department, has city utilities directed bill to residents from the city and the city has renewed the parks business license every year.

1 Like

I would contact the FMHA to get the best recommendation, but this law firm is very involved in the industry. https://lbtlaw.com

I’ll check them out. Appreciate it!

David Eastman is the best in FL. 850-521-0890

1 Like

I’ll give him a call. I did talk to Scott Gordon at their firm. Seemed knowledgeable but the deal may be a bit small for them. $160k sales price but potential to be a million dollar property. Thanks for the referral!

Spoke with David today. Seems great! Thanks again for the referral!

You’re welcome!

Please share any updates?

Attorney is going through city ordinances this week and will update me by Friday on findings.

I know laws can vary widely based on location, but what is the general wisdom on this issue? If you’re “legal non-conforming” do you just have to pray that no homes ever leave your park?

Florida Statute says we can bring homes into the park. The city will not back off of their position even though my attorney has explained the statute to the city attorney. The city attorney says they intend to phase out mobile home parks. We will have to sue the city.

1 Like

Suing is seldom a win since if you win the city will be on your back, period. Spending money to prove your right is good but IF city wants to change the zoning the next owner might be an apartment builder or a new civic center and there are better ways to spend money than on a city you have upset. Ask what the city really wants for the property–probably inside friends have plans for the property.

1 Like

What ended up happening here JasonS?

Still work in progress. We are preparing to sue the city. It may be a few months before we have all we want in place for the suit.

1 Like

Legal non-conforming seems to be a major problem across the US… Concerned about it as well, thanks for keeping us posted. Hope you win!