Cost to fix rusty roofs?

The parks that I’ve been looking at seem to have some POHs that have roofs with rust on them. I feel like this could be a bad experience for tenants, because somewhere down the line, we might have a big rust hole and that would leak water. How much would this cost to fix?

I’ve seen some posts about sealing the roofs. Is that only pre-rust or can we use it for roofs that already have rust on them?

At what point do we need to replace the roofs, and how much would this cost?

Don’t know if this helps or not, but Sherwin Williams sells a rust “locking” product that you put onto metal before any paint. I am using it on my light posts prior to painting them this summer.

As for roofs, I’ve had good luck with pressure washing them first and using a really high-quality sealer from HD. Several grades available including a liguified rubber compound. Haven’t used this one yet. The point is that you get what you pay for and the cost of sealing roofs is in the work and not the materials. Once I have sealed a roof, it takes many years before rust begins to show up again.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I think the product you are talking about to encapsulate rust is called POR-15. Great product but a bit pricey IMO, especially since you also have to paint over it afterwards as it is not UV resistant.

I’ve seen an ad somewhere recently (maybe Frank and Dave’s newsletter?) for a product you can put on old metal roofs to restore them. It is about $200 per roof or so if I remember correctly. Not a bad deal at all.

1 Like

Forget all the anti rust paint products and just “Kool Seal” the roofs. It’s a tried and true mobile home roof product. It will turn the roof gray again.

1 Like

Have you been successful in doing this? Did you power wash first or other prep work?