Construction experience

We are preparing to build a new MHP from raw land.

I am looking to network with people who have experience in construction (as an owner, builder, developer, etc). Anyone out there?

Especially in the West Houston area, but anyone from anywhere in Texas or other states is welcome to share.

Brandon

3 Likes

I know this isn’t super helpful, but if you’d be willing to chronicle the process and how it goes it would be fascinating.

1 Like

Yes! That would be awesome.

1 Like

This is going to be a long, long process. You probably think the hassle of construction is first and foremost. Wrong.

Site plan – how many units?

That depends on county drainage and detention requirements and availability, other non-homesite land requirements (e.g. green space, sightlines, setbacks, etc.) Also depends on county requirements for size of home sites. How much of property is environmentally protected/non-developable? Need geotech reports and wetlands analysis.

Water and sewer feasibility study. What capacity can locality provide? We need to reserve this capacity. We also need to pay to run the municipal services to the property. As @PhillipMerrill told me, fire (hydrant) flow requirement drives design.

Traffic Analysis – what improvements are needed to public R.O.W.?

So, layout and gov’t regulations are intertwined. Untangling this is first and foremost. And thank goodness we don’t need zoning change!!

And to answer a subsequent post, of course we are using engineering firm.

Still looking to connect with anyone having experience in this area.

Brandon@Sandell

4 Likes

I’m assuming you’re hiring a civil engineering consultant to help, correct?

I had to do most of this for a non-MHP development within the City of Houston, and wanted to slit my wrists every other week for about 6 months. We abandoned the project after spending 25k on engineering, architects, and other flubbies to find out cost to build made the project unfeasible.

If you like to hear about pain please PM me. Do I sound bitter at all?

3 Likes

@Brandon very interested in how this goes for you. I’m also in the process of thinking through what to do with 6.5 acres we have in the Houston/Pasadena area as well. Going to start with a feasibility study to see what will be the best fit. I’ve read that staying around 40 units should be a minimum in order to get into MHP, would love to know your thoughts on this. In addition to this, one thing I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around is to rent units vs. just providing the space (less headache). Wondering what route you are leaning towards?
– Also will document my thoughts as I go through this process to share with others.

I have found that it is a better use of time to design a plat with as much density as allowed by the zoning, get it approved by the local authorities and then sell the parcel as a shovel-ready package to an able developer.

I like @joematyk’s approach. The zoning approval process seems to much more subjective than objective. If you can remove that headache for someone, you have provided a ton of value.

Hi Brandon,
I designed and personally built a high end MHP in Washington State, that we still own and operate. I’ve been in the Earthwork / Civil Engineering industry for most of my life. I would be glad to give you some insight into the process. Looks like your on the right track and aware of most of the requirements.

2 Likes

Brandon . . . Perhaps I can help. I built two FL communities and have been a consultant for ground up mhp communities both nationally and here in FL. My website is www.Mobilhomepark.com (not active right now). I have done several hundred feasibility studies, business plans, and market research studies, and brokered many communities in many states. I currently live in central FL near the Turnpike a few hours NW of the Miami area.

Hi Brandon,

I’m getting ready to start down the same path. Happy to collaborate and compare notes along the way. I’m occasional developer of more traditional residential and light commercial projects, looking forward to getting some MHP experience.

As Mr Wonderful always likes to say - high cash floooow is a wonderful thing!

patrick@aeropartners.com

Pat

Brandon,

Out of curiosity is this in the City Limits of Houston or in the ETJ?
Al