Clearing out storage units

I recently bought my first park with storage units and it turns out that there are about 10 units that are full of items that belong to either deceased tenants or people that are no longer paying. Go figure the seller neglected to mention this to me…

Anyways, I received a quote from my property manager to get some guys to go out and clear those out plus there are a couple of trash piles to clean up. They said it would take about 3 30foot trash containers and cost about $7,500 to cleanup.

I really don’t feel like paying that when there are empty storage units we could rent out first, plus that price seems pretty high. Are there any creative options that people have used in this circumstance or do I just bite the bullet and get over it quickly? Or does that price sound crazy and I need more quotes?

I believe there is a process you can auction those units off and the buyer can clear it out for you. I don’t know the abandoned property laws to clear as a dependency. Hopefully there are a few things in them that look like they’re worth “something.”

1 Like

Yeah I’ve seen the shows where they do that but I have never actually met anyone that had done it. I’m probably going to look into that.

30 yard dumpster is $800. They are charging $7700 for labor. Send out flyer to everyone in the park telling them your having a one day tag sale on the items in the storage units. You will be surprised how fast they get emptied. Especially when you tell them it’s free stuff. Then pay local high school kids or kids in the park to throw out the rest. Have everyone sign a waiver though in case they get injured.

1 Like

@violet2015 That’s not a bad idea. I think I’ll try something similar to this out. Thank you!

You’d better follow your state law for abandoned property before you do anything. “He who sells what isn’t his’n, buys it back or goes to prison.”

@Brandon appreciate the advice. It was the first thing we checked. Half of the units belong to a deceased individual and the others are pretty old.