Am I legally bound to rent to a sexual offender? Can i reject based on this?

Are there any discrimination laws that require me to rent to a known sexual offender/child molester? Is it state specific? (I’m in Georgia).

Can i reject a prospective tenant based on this?

I would ask the police or DA if the child molester is allowed to live near children. It may will be he is not.

When you say “known” do you mean they are currently a registered sex offender, or just that people think they are a sex offender? There’s a huge difference. To my knowledge, you can block registered sex offenders from living in your park, as most parks are filled with children and would violate their status (but consult your state MHA for exact details). If they are not an actual registered sex offender – evidenced by being on the official “list” --but people just suspect them of doing bad stuff and urging you to block them, then that could well land you in a HUD discrimination case and then a libel/slander lawsuit. This kind of stuff is extremely litigious, so get all the facts.

1 Like

Registered sex offender. Got a hit – complete with picture – on the database website.

Then I’m pretty sure you are allowed to block him from living in your park Here’s a good article on this topic.

Do I Have to Rent to a Registered Sex Offender?.

Nevertheless, I would still talk to your state MHA as you might be in the one state that is different.

As a landlord you are legally allowed to choose the most qualified applicant. Your screening standards will determine your basic requirements. If you choose you may reject a applicant simply because you do not like their attitude, you may not reject for reasons that are a violation of their legal housing rights.
This does not mean you must accept due to being forced by their housing rights. You reject applicants either because they do not meet your screening criteria or because you have a more qualified applicant.
To resolve your legal concerns you take in multiple applications and continue taking applications until you have the most qualified that meets your criteria. Landlords that screen based on first come first served are doing their business a disservice.
Most qualified not first qualified.

1 Like

You can discriminate based on many things when selecting tenants. As long as you don’t discriminate for legally protected reasons (race, sex, religion, age, handicap, family status, sexual orientation…), you’re fine. “Perverts” aren’t (yet at least) a protected class.

1 Like

there’s no way in hell that i would let a sex offender move in if i can help it. can you imagine all of the lawsuits that would fly if your tenants found out:open_mouth: