Advice on buying a list

I recently purchased a list from a company with over 8,000 names/numbers and addresses of mobile home park owners. I realized soon after reviewing the list that a large amount of the contacts are actually park managers and not owners(maybe around 30% of the total). Is there any value whatsoever in having a managers contact information?

I definitely wasn’t planning on a mailing campaign directed to managers but I wanted to know if there’s something that I might be missing here. Should I go back to the company and say that I have no use for the “managers” and try and get replacement information for only park owners?

Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Id be weary of a list like this… For someone to get all the info accurate with owners ( and current) has a tremendous cost and dedication.

When i started, i bought some stuff on list source and quickly found out that it was not what i was looking for.

I like the Frank and Dave list as base but have also found it is not 100% perfect. And you have to remember , if people use that as the basis, the people on that list may not ( or be infrequently ) getting contacted and may be more valuable to connect with .

We look at ours as a live list… Always trying to keep it updated, always improving, always cross checking on different sources. Adding new components of trying to contact etc. It is the single most valuable resource and thats why you should take the time to have a propriety list.

Based on my personal experience, anyone commercially selling a list with 8000 park owners that is to have any level of accuracy, i just would really question it…

1 Like

@Deleted_User_ME

I was thinking something along the same lines. I do have a couple of lists now(including the one from bootcamp) and I’m in the process of coalescing them.

Quick question, do you think it’s worth calling people from the new list under the “manager” column and trying to get the owners info from them?

@Dominic730 Anything is possible. I accidentally mailed a tenant ( shame on me but live and learn) of a park and he said it needed fix up etc. Got connected with the owner from that call and as much as id love to buy that, it was my first assignment. Anything is possible. But I’m guessing 95% of it will be a hurdle and agitation (along with potentially pissing of an owner you want to sell to you) but somewhere in that 5% is probably a deal.

@Jim_Johnson made a great post probably a few years back now. He calls them , lets them know he is interested in buying in the area and seeing if the manager knows of any parks in the area that could use a new owner ( something along those lines - Im butchering what exactly he posted but you can search his posts and find it). I love this strategy. Your straight forward, you might get a possibility of a deal and who knows, you might even find that out something that leads you to buying that park. Something to keep in your tool belt for sure but I’m just not sure that it itself can be a stand alone marketing strategy.

And the tenant from my story had no idea what his call did ( we ended up sending him 2-3 months lot rent in cash in an unmarked envelope. ( i also checked and the owner was getting our mail ) so working different angles can give you an edge.

2 Likes

@Deleted_User_ME hey 5% actually sounds good. It sounds like it’s basically just a numbers game, just like in finance. And I think I saw the forum post that you’re referring to.

@Dominic730 100% its a numbers game. As Frank always refers to his sorter the game becomes volume. If you are a smaller sample size , you have to really change the tuning of the sorter.

I had a side run in a hobby penny business. pre 1982 pennies are made of 95% copper and there was a stint ( still is ) where the metal value exceeds the currency face value. If you process enough, you get these and can bulk them up and sell them ( i think the market for this is non existent at this point) . Similar concept if you know 1964 and before , change was silver. So if you process enough change you can find these quarters ( where you pay 25 cents) and they are 3-4 $ a piece.

When you get into the commercial operations , you can sort out a bag of quarters that cost you 1000 ( face value ) but its worth say 12 ,000 -13,000. If you sort enough pennies, you can even stumble upon the rare gold coin ( which might be worth say 100 plus dollars ) that costs you literally one cent. The commercial sorting operations obviously have their costs,( equipment, employees, insurance ) but the principal is the same. Its all about volume, tuning etc .

As @Greg probably knows, there was a stint there where a canadian nickel 5 cents was worth say 20-25 cents and the government was smart enough to realize this ( and outside vendors) that started processing all the coins and pulling this from circulation ( Greshams Law) .

There are legal components to this ( exporting currency , melt bans etc)

While i def sidetracked on this but just driving the point home about the sorter, probabilities , etc. I spent way to much time on this venture but i learned a ton and figured id share some monday reading ( in case anyone else doesnt want to get back to work - like me :wink: right now)

@Deleted_User_ME I like the analogy you used. I definitely had no idea people did/do that kind of thing.

1 Like

I wish I didn’t no that people did that kind of thing either ! :grinning:

1 Like