$8500 to move double wide 17 miles

A mover quoted me $8500 to move a 1997 Fleetwood 28 x 64 double wide 17 miles, Wichita Kansas. Does not include hookup of utilities.

Is this the going rate? It sounds very expensive to me. Does anyone know of movers in the Wichita area?

The mover said that he would discount the move to $7000 ($1500 discount) if I put the siding and interior trim back on. Should I take the $1500 discount? I am not sure that my park manager would be able to do the re-installation as well as the mover would be able to.

Thanks.

I think you just answered your own question.

@Louvie, yep, you are right - I should not take the discount. Let the mover put the siding and interior trim back.

But don’t you think $8500 is overpriced?

I think that is pretty high moving cost but I don’t have any experience with double wides. We have a small park in Emporia.

Ken

I also doubt have experience with DWs but that still sounds very high to me. Just paid 1250 for a 140 mile move but was a straight pickup (no tear down etc) so pretty seamless.

Mucho Money, In the midwest from Laramie to Ogallala I paid 5000 for 200 miles included set up tie down etc…In South East local moves around 1400.

Price sounds high, call more movers… SW might be 1600-2000 for that short distance to give some perspective…

You should be able to move it for 5K or less. It’s tricky finding someone with general liability, cargo, and commercial auto insurance on the cheap side, but they are out there. There’s a good performance contract at @KurtKelley’s website, mobileagency.com

I went to my state’s website for licensed mobile home installers and found the ones within an hour of the location of the home. Those are the ones that will go out and look at it so they know what they’re getting into. I’m having one (16x76 singlewide) moved this week 150 miles for $3,500. If it was under 20 miles would be about 2K for the same home as it would be a one day haul and setup instead of two. This also includes disconnection of the water and sewer pipes under the home, disconnection of A/C, and they’re also going to pack up the meter loop and 200 amp breaker.

You can also get a good deal if you’re flexible on schedule so that the movers can pick up your home instead of deadheading on a return trip.

One of the little secrets of this business is that double wides are more than twice the hassle. It’s not just two moves and two setups, and two teardowns, but also mating the halves, which is obviously more work.

Still, two halves 17 miles should be one crew one day, I think.

You actually need a trim crew to do the trim out. I always used someone who specialized in trim versus set up. I would do the same in taking interior trim and vinyl down as well, A set up contractor does not normally specialize in trim work. I have had plenty of DW sets and breakdowns done as a retailer.

$8500 may not be too high from what I’ve learned especially for a double wide or a modular. Some gov’t rules as it relates to moving a replacement mobile onto a previous location are now being enforced in some areas. One such rule is a footer requirement vs just concrete blocks on a plastic pad. Another is the tie down, some are now requiring extensive strapping and other rules- all of this increases the time and expense.

Here’s a few more thoughts:

1. Most MH Retailers will tell you that $6/mile is a typical transport cost. With a double wide, that’s per section;
  2. Anytime you move one of your homes, if at all practicable, and it usually is, get “collision” or “trip” coverage added to your policy. Mover’s often have “Cargo” insurance which may cover your home, but “Cargo” insurance coverage varies widely and is notorious for its numerous exclusions;
  3. Always use a written Transporter agreement with any MH move. As mentioned above, here’s one. http://mobileagency.com/docs/transporterinstallcontract.pdf
  4. Any transporter/installer should be licensed and insured. Their insurance should include: Commercial auto, Cargo, and general Liability with the “Care, Custody, or Control” exclusion removed. Without the letter, transporter installers have no coverage for damage they do to your home after they are unhooked from it. Our park and dealer clients regularly get left holding the bag because fo this; and
  5. You state should have a list of all the licensed MH Installers in the state. You can also call a local MH Retailer for a suggestion - they’ll know who does a good job for the money.

It is absolutely high. Rip off in my opinion.

Not sure what the going rate for mobile home transport is since I’ve never done it, but the auto transport co I use https://www.a1autotransport.com/ offers it as a service on their website. I’ve been really happy with them on the car shipping side so I would expect the same level of service for something like that. Pretty affordable in my experience too.

Didn’t catch the date on this - disregard.

6-7 years later and I wouldn’t even bat an eyelash at that price lol

1 Like