21st Cash program question

Has any park owner that has used the 21st Cash program had a consumer loan default? The latest version of their docs appears to give 21st full discretion on whether they re-originate a loan to the park owner, or alternatively, demand full repayment. This is a bit unsettling, as we don’t know whether we need to establish a reserve account or not.

Any firsthand account from a park owner about how 21st deals with these situations would be appreciated

It would seem to defeat the purpose of using the Cash program if we need to have a reserve account for the full amount of the home and installation cost.

Thank you

When a default occurs you now have 3 options with 21st:

1. Repay balance in full
  2. Convert home to a commercial note (They will finance 100% of invoice, but won’t cover set-up costs) and use it as a rental / rent credit unit
  3. Floorplan it for 6 months (They hold it on their balance sheet) until it’s ready to sell and sell it as a used unit

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks rmpratt. Those options sound great, but the language in the Cash agreement gives the bank full discretion on which of those options will be made available. There are no assurances that 21st will provide those options to you - unless their latest program provides that (i signed up in April 2017). What version Cash program are you using? Thanks

@rmpratt , as per your post:
“When a default occurs you now have 3 options with 21st:
1.) Repay balance in full
2.) Convert home to a commercial note (They will finance 100% of invoice, but won’t cover set-up costs) and use it as a rental / rent credit unit
3.) Floorplan it for 6 months (They hold it on their balance sheet) until it’s ready to sell and sell it as a used unit”

@jkmhp2 , as per your post:
"Those options sound great, but the language in the Cash agreement gives the bank full discretion on which of those options will be made available. There are no assurances that 21st will provide those options to you - unless their latest program provides that (i signed up in April 2017). "

So I am very conservative…and these options sound like a lot of risk to the MHP Owner and very little risk to the CASH Program.

• Has any MHP Owner had a CASH Program Mobile Home default?

• If yes, what was the result?

• Has any MHP Owner sold a MHP with CASH Program Mobile Homes?

• If yes, how was the sale structured? Did the New MHP Owner take over responsibility for the CASH Program Mobile Homes /or/ are they still in your Business Name?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

The 3 options outlined above are for the CASH program as of August 2017.

I’m with you on the recourse, I wish it weren’t part of the program but it comes down to math. After a lengthy discussion with the head of the CASH program it became clear to me why they have to make it a recourse deal. In order for 21st to cover their losses on defaults if they did a non-recourse deal they would need to charge 16% interest. However, Dodd-Frank makes this illegal (They are capped out at something in the 10-11% range). That means they need to find another mechanism to cover the losses and recourse is what they came up with. It is basically that 5-6% interest rate spread that park-owners are subsidizing when they co-sign on these homes.

As far as impact that CASH homes have on park liquidity, we recently sold a park with about 10 CASH homes in it. We were upfront in our marketing that the sale was contingent on buyer taking over responsibility for CASH homes in the event of a default by transferring them out of our name and into theirs. This request seemed to have no impact on the transaction - we had multiple offers at or near our list price.

It’s not a perfect program, but used wisely CASH can be a nice tool to your infilling toolbox.

3 Likes

Thanks for the continued and very helpful dialogue. The question still remains about what happens in the event of a consumer default?

1.) Does 21st always originate a loan with the park owner (in which case just the monthly payments need to be covered)?

2.) Or does 21st exercise their demand for full repayment

3.) Or is it literally a coin toss depending on what 21st desires to do? And can one know in advance what they plan to do?

1 Like