Zoning approval to operate as a fully functioning mobile home park

Hello all,

I am wondering how difficult it would be to get zoning approval to operate as a fully functioning mobile home park on a currently licensed mobile home park? Or can someone steer me to a prior forum topic discussing this? I tried to look at past forum discussions, and did not see anything close to this topic.

Not sure about others, but this does not make sense to me. If you are zoned as a mobile home park, then whether your are fully functioning or partially functioning (not that I know the difference but I assume it means 100% occupancy versus < 100% occupancy), it does not matter. Either you are zoned or you are not for that use. If you are a operational mobile home park on land that is not zoned as mobile home park, and you want to change the zoning, then you would have to speak to the local officials or a land use attorney to get your answer. Some jurisdictions will fight you every step of the way and others may be more generous.

1 Like

@mPark I said the same thing. Does not make sense. Being “Licensed as a mobile home park, but must get zoning approval to FULLY function” as a mobile home park. I am awaiting more info from the County Officials. Once I get more information, I will repost the response here. Thanks for your response!

Hello all, here is a follow up on my original post about a currently “Licensed as a mobile home park, but must get zoning approval to FULLY function”

Originally, this piece of land WAS a fully functioning mobile home park, with about 20 mobile homes, and a single-family home on the land. Over the years, the owner removed the mobile homes one by one, until there was only one left. At this current time, the single-family home is for sale, with one mobile home on it. I am wondering how difficult it would be to get this once fully functioning mobile home park up and going again, and because there is at least one mobile home on the land, will all the benefits of a mobile home park still be considered?

As long as this mobile home park has been continually operating, it still has the same zoning status as it originally did. Therefore, whether you had one mobile home or 20 mobile homes, it is fully functioning in both cases. The risk is if you go to zero mobile homes. In that case the property is not functioning and after a certain period of time which can be as short as six months, you can lose the right to operate as a mobile home park. Basically, you have the right or you don’t. There is no middle ground. Zoning law cannot prevent you from replacing the missing mobile homes.

1 Like

Thank you for your guidance!