Tenant security cameras

Has anyone had problems with tenants putting up security cameras around their mobile home? We have a new guy that moved in this month and immediately put them up. Several tenants have complained about it - they think it is weird and feel like they are being watched. The tenant claims its for security purposes. He seems to be a paranoid individual.

It may all blow over in a month or so and I’m not taking any action right now on the issue.

Just wanted to get others opinions…

Robbie

Yes, I’ve had that. It is weird. But it doesn’t really hurt anyone. Normally the neighbors lose interest in it pretty fast. They guy who did it in my park was obsessed that people were out to hurt his car. I have no idea why. He mounted cameras all around his car so he could see it from different angles. His car was a basic Ford pick-up truck. But he did keep his house immaculately and, other than the cameras, was a fine tenant who always paid on time. I guess the one observation I would have is that many of our tenants move to our parks from apartments, and maybe people had been deliberately screwing with his car at the apartment complex, and he worried about it all the time. But, yes, it is a weird concept.

Every state has their own set of privacy laws regulating camera use. In some cases the use of cameras must be posted, and there are rules on streaming the feed and what you can do as far as posting clips. The laws differ between public, and private land. This question is really for your attorney, so you know if now that you know there is a camera in use- if you are required to disclose its use to your tenants.

In short- I believe you the owner of the land needs to be informed, and your attorney might ask for you to inform the tenants. Most people have a right to privacy on their own property to some extent, but because the land is leased- there is some vague spots in case law.

We inform cameras are in use- or could be in use in all of our parks.

Remember as the owner of the park, you might not be liable for your tenants actions, the actions of their occupants, guests or PETS (big hint here) but you can be negligent if something happens. So be proactive.

frankrolfe Wrote:

Yes, I’ve had that. It is weird. But it doesn’t

really hurt anyone. Normally the neighbors lose

interest in it pretty fast. They guy who did it in

my park was obsessed that people were out to hurt

his car. I have no idea why. He mounted cameras

all around his car so he could see it from

different angles. His car was a basic Ford pick-up

truck. But he did keep his house immaculately and,

other than the cameras, was a fine tenant who

always paid on time. I guess the one observation I

would have is that many of our tenants move to our

parks from apartments, and maybe people had been

deliberately screwing with his car at the

apartment complex, and he worried about it all the

time. But, yes, it is a weird concept.

I immediately think drug dealer… how did I get so suspicious :slight_smile:

My first thought is paranoid schizophrenic or similar mental disorder. I have one in my park, does not use cameras but does believe he is being spied on. He also has a voice in his head that that tends to cause him duress.

Otherwise a nice guy but I would much rather not have him as a tenant. When he first arrived a neighbour call the police on him for noise issues–three police cruisers showed up within 5 minutes. One officer told me he had gone off their radar about 8 months before and they had wondered where he disappeared to. Wonder no more.

We had a resident who bought and put up several cameras because he thought people were breaking into his home and stealing medications, medals, etc etc. Although I am not sure his cameras were ever actually working, the sheriff finally did put a trail-cam out to prove to him that no one was breaking in. I didn’t know about it until a sheriff brought photos in of some neighborhood kids, not breaking into the home, but spray-painting his truck, instead.