Removal of homes from a park

Recently, I purchased a park in Shannon, NC and there are 5 homes that need to be removed due to their age and of course their condition (which is really bad!). My fear is that once they get them hooked up to pull out what happens if they fall apart??? Also, does anyone know of anyone in this area that would remove all 5 at a low cost?

1 Like

Once a mobile home is off your property, it is no longer your headache. Mobile home movers have insurance to cover cleanup if a home splits in two on the highway.

Movers may also look at one of your homes and decide it is not roadworthy and refuse to move it. In that case you’ll need to call a demolition company to come deal with it in place. They’ll tear it down off it’s frame, cut up the frame into pieces with a blow torch, and throw it all in a 24-yard dumpster, and haul it off that way.

Call three or more movers in your area and get bids to remove your five homes. Hopefully you will qualify for a bit of a volume discount. “Move four homes to the dump, and get your fifth house demolished for free.” :wink:

Good luck,


Have your insurance agent read the mover’s contract. Some provide that you are responsible if the home breaks in two while moving it. And there’s also the issue of you being included in the lawsuit if the mover has insufficient insurance. We always let Kurt Kelley read our moving contracts and give us advice on this.

It is often easier and cheaper just to tear them down on location. If you have several you can do a “Henry Ford Assembly Line” attack that may be the safest and cheapest option of all. I would definitely get a price on that.


Anytime you hire a manufactured home mover, here’s the to do list:

  1. Use a written contract (We have one posted in the Forms section of our website
    titled 'Transporter Installer Agreement");
  2. Verify the mover is licensed if applicable. It’s important to note that while almost all states require installers to be licensed, movers themselves often don’t have to be. So in the case of someone moving a junk home to the storage bin, they likely don’t have to be licensed as an 'installer";
  3. Get a copy of the mover’s Certificate of Insurance. The following boxes should be checked, a) commercial auto insurance, b) general liability insurance, and c) cargo insurance (you can waive this latter one if the home is valueless and you just want it off your property; and
  4. Get recommendation on who is a good mover. A local MH retailer is a good place to start.

Our records show that about 30% of all losses associated with selling (or moving) manufactured homes relate directly to work performed by a transporter or installer.