Re: Town wants lot numbers changed

Andy,

I had to do this in a park I have. In all- it was pretty easy. The post office sent all the residents a letter saying their mailing address was changing. All we did was reissue leases, change the addresses in our billing software and we were pretty much done. The fire department, police etc use maps of the parks to find the homes, and the last thing they want to do is see numbers 1,3,5,7 and the next home be something other than 9. When real problems are happening, you want things to be easy…

Here is a thought- follow me with it. You fight this and win- you do not change the numbering in the park. Someone calls 911 a year from now, the police / fire get confused and it takes the a few extra minutes to get to the house. In that few minutes someone is without oxygen, say a kid. Now the child has a brain injury because the house was not found. So the parents attorney gets wind you fought off changing the 911 people who requested you change the numbering in the park… as a general rule, I tell people every one of my tenants is afforded the best attorney in town free of charge, because as the park owner- you have the deep pockets and everyone wants in them. Anyway… so you stand in court and are asked why you did not change the numbering, and truthfully you say it was inconvenient, you liked it the old way and saw no need to be accommodating the the request. You go on to say it your park, and you will run it as you see fit.

Now you might have the right to keep the numbering, but you could still be found to have civil damages, and those are the damages that really suck. So when they came to our park I said, great thinking, what are you thinking about doing, can I have a bit of input, like… and in the long run if anything came down in my park, I would fall back on doing what the officials mapped out for me to do.

good luck with this, sorry I could not advise you on getting out of this situation but such is my advise…