Re: For those who own both MHPs and RV Parks

Rolf… No luck as of yet. I’m reworking my ad next week. Based on the RV parks I’ve been seeing I’m not sure these guys will go for a no frills life style that I offer in my parks.

To mention a few like Washeteria, barbque pits, bath house? Then I suspect my plumbing & electrical hookup will be a little more extensive.

Bagman,

Got my first RV application coming in today from a lady who lives at a campground nearby and works in the area. The campground closes in October and she now lives full-time in her RV. I believe a lot of people could be in this situation and their thinking is more like someone living in a mobile home. I never thought there was an economic step below MHs but apparently there is. Her home is a 32’ travel trailer and only a couple of years old so I don’t mind having something like that in my park. My point is there are people like this all over and they may not be concerned with having the amenities you mention. I’m also going for construction and drilling workers here for the shale boom. These guys work like dogs and don’t care about the same things a family on vacation would care about.

I have to change my electrical but it’s not a big deal according to the electrical contractor and I’m not going to do anything about my sewer hook-up.

A couple of big competitive advantages you may have over “campgrounds” is you are probably way cheaper than they are and also quieter. I’ve been to a couple of these places on week-ends and they are zoos. All those amenities you speak of cost money to maintain and not important to someone trying to live on the cheap.

Rolf

Wheat Hill

All good points Rolfe.

Your right about the economical scenario. I discovered today that I have 3 RV’s in one of my parks (inside city limits). I went & met the folks. Really nice however as down & out as you could be. I’m told that the city will not allow RV’s in a mobile home park however it seems to have gotten past city hall thus far.

My phone rang while typing this, a man wanting to locate his 32ft 4 slide out in one of my parks (outside city limits)

This post is a little late but…

Our Idaho communities are located just off I-15, which is a major route between Canada and AZ for the snow birds. We have had as many as 75 monthly RV residents occupying a combination of 41 designated RV sites and vacant lots within our mhp communities. It is a great way to increase cash flow with very little capital expendature if any at all. In fact we did $300K+ in gross RV revenue last year at $375 per month. We also did a refi last year on these same properties. The bank took 50% of the RV revenue into account when doing their appraisal.

Rick Ewens

I just accepted my first RV today and there will be more to follow. The woman is coming out of a nearby campground that has many fracking workers staying there for the summer. Problem is the place closes in October and then they have to leave. The lady moving in has a nice looking trailer she lives out of full-time and doesn’t want to move for winter.

The cost to upgrade my pedestals is $740 but I will then be able to hook up either an RV or a mobile home. Kind of sucks having to re-do what I already re-did before but I make my money back in 3 months.

The RV residents have to pay for all their own utilities just like the MH residents. Moving an RV is obviously way easier and OH does not require an inspection. The biggest plus I see is that I can get them out much faster than MH residents. I have to have cause and a court case to evict an MH but with an RV, I can put them on a month-to-month and simply not renew their contract at any point.

The biggest challenge I see is connecting the water. The entire line is exposed right up to the home which means my meter is also exposed to all the elements vs. being under the home and protected. Lots of heat cable and foam pipe insulation are going to be needed. Suggestions welcome.

Rolf

Wheat Hill