Non-Transferable Special Use Permit on a park that should be grandfathered

I’m looking at park in Texas that the city issued a special use permit for back in 97 after they passed new ordinances that without grandfathering would make all MHPs in the city illegal. The special use permit allowed this park to continue to operate as an MHP, but with new restrictions. In addition to this, they made the Special Use Permit non-transferable. A new owner has to reapply for the permit, which goes through several committees and city council, which means there is no guarantee that they’ll issue you a new permit.

This park was built in the 60s and 70s, so we all know that the special use permit is not even valid due to grandfathering, but that is something they’re not currently willing to concede to at the moment. I haven’t talked to the city attorney or anything like that yet.

I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone has encountered a similar situation and was able to resolve it amicably with the city. I’m assuming a municipal attorney would have to get involved and send a letter to the city attorney, but I’m wondering if there is another way to accomplish this, or has the special use permit been in place for so long that grandfathering no longer applies?

Has anyone had any experience with getting a Special Use Permit removed so that the park becomes legal, non-conforming without any strings attached?

We had that exact same situation, hired an attorney, threatened a law suit and we are still required to get a permit signed every year which is voted on by city council. The city requires us to keep the park in better condition than many of the surrounding neighborhoods. If I weren’t a long term holder, this would not be an ideal situation.

1 Like