Leak detection companies - Americal Leak Detection worth extra money?

We have a leak in our park. American Leak Detection said it will cost approximately $650 to find it. I found an independent company that can do it for $325 and if he does not find the leak he will only send me a bill for a trip charge of $80. Has anyone had luck with independent leak detection companies? Or is American Leak Detection worth the extra money?

Thanks for your responses,

Tony

You might get them to explain their tools and techniques first and if they sound similar then try the independent guy.

Bret

You might get them to explain their tools and techniques first and if they sound similar then try the independent guy.

Bret

I have used American Leak Detection for well over a decade, and had good results with them. That being said, I am also a total miser, and would definitely give this other company a try at that price differential. Since they are basically promising to find the leak or charge you only $80, how can you go wrong? However, remember that it costs money to make plumbing repairs and – until the leak is fixed – you’re burning water charges, so their is some level of risk going with the unknown guy. But he might be fine. It’s a gamble, but a good gambler figures out the odds and decides accordingly. Why not call some references?