Gary Rivlin interview

The interview spent some time discussing the reputation people suffer if they live in a mobile home, or even worse a trailer.
I am reminded of the great Jimmy Buffet song which includes:

"But a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor.

Son of a gun, load the last ton

One step ahead of the jailer

I’m just a son of a son, son of a son, son of a son of a sailor

The sea’s in my veins, my tradition remains.

I’m just glad I don’t live in a trailer."

The "stigma’ of living in a mobile home is pretty much a regional issue. From about Oklahoma south, the stigma of “trailer trash” is rampant. But as you go north, the stigma dissipates. The description of living in a “mobile home” changes to just plain “home” in the northern states. You will find that the tenants in mobile home parks, as you go north, look completely different. They drive normal cars, have landscaped yards, and hold real jobs with IRAs. Instead of using drugs, their kids go to pharmacy school.

Jimmy Buffett is from Mobile, Alabama. Alabama is one of those states where the stigma is huge.

@fo2rest interesting

@frankrolfe Thank you for clarification. Two month ago I saw Porsche Turbo S (newer model) parked next to new single wide mobile home in a mobile home community.

1 Like

That’s the same thing that Gary Rivlin found in our park in Pontoon Beach, Illinois – a Porsche 911 in the driveway of mobile home. He talked to the owner, and found that they had downsized into the mobile home as part of their retirement plan, and they were saving so much money over their old brick home lifestyle that they bought the 911 with the cash flow differential.

1 Like

LOL

Post must be at least 20 characters…