Existing Template for Long Range Park Maintenance?

Hello,
I’m starting to work on plans for my parks to be better maintained. I took them over a couple years ago and there was just too much neglect. As one example, several catch basins were filled with sediment, leading to overflow and erosion, but they’d been just adding more dirt and retaining walls because nobody knew any better than to diagnose the issue. I swear the old maintenance guys had job security by continuing to add bandaids to the probems.

I’m sure I’ll learn a lot over the coming years, but if anyone is aware of a comprehensive industry “best practices” or something for how often to do proactive things like televising undergrounds, road maintenance (i.e. crack filling), etc…I’m not a fan of waiting until I see a problem and then trying to cash flow it if I can predict it. If nothing is out there I’m just going to build something myself, but would appreciate any quick guidance

1 Like

michaelpower@mhcinvestor.com
The MHP Management System

I purchased Michal J. Power’s system a long time ago. It’s a bit of work to get “The System” up and going but it’s very comprehensive.

I use a lot of his forms and practices. He taught me a ton about running a park.

1 Like

Thank you @SDGuy
Appreciate the links - I’ll take a look

Andy

1 Like

I too am continuing to learn. I have a few multifamily properties, and most include some mobiles as well as MH lots.

Some things I already do:

• regular inspections (homes, lots, infrastructure, land). I do this 2x/month on average. I dont go into the homes (though I should set up annual visits here). If you are “long range” I would put effort into making relationships with reliable handymen, contractors, or landscapers. Use one of them to do your site visits regularly. Pay them what you believe is fair.If not, then you can go traditional and use a PM.

• Septics. Pump out septics every few years. I base my pumpouts on utilization. Less residents (thus less use) then longer times between pumping.

• Roads. Unfortunately, most of mine are gravel roads. Therefore I already set aside time to fill pot holes, etc. I have found my sources for rock locally.

• Tree trimming Definitely worth it to stay on top of this. Makes each time you do the job much easier. The previous owner neglected this, making it difficult to do that first time.

Thank you @DaveR

Yes, trees have been one of the biggest headaches. One of my communities is surrounded by woods, and it looks like the woods has been trying to take back over for decades. It’s always fun how residents call it “my tree” if I want to cut it down, and “your tree” if the resident wants it down :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@AndyF yes, good point on tree “ownership.” End of the day, its what you want. I usually just go forth with my plans; I dont ask. Notification is required if youre going inside the home, however, as for the outside and lot, I dont believe the same rules apply. They may just come home and tree is gone!

Word to the wise, only use licensed and insured tree contractors. Even then, still be sure you have good liability insurance and possibly even an umbrella liability policy. You likely already know this. Of course, its a bit different if you are doing the job yourself. I have completed the job both ways.

Hi @DaveR
Wow - missed this response. Sorry about that. Yes, onboard with the licensed and insured component. We’re in good shape there. And ditto on the notification policies - lots of tenants confuse the rules for apartments with the rules for mobile home lots.

Notification is always a best practice…when I first joined the company I’d see guys under resident homes checking out things, and my first reaction is “how hard is it to just knock and let them know what you are doing?”

1 Like