Eviction

So after owning my park for 2.5 weeks, I have 2 homes late on rent. Late notice was posted on their doors on the 6th; 5 day notice of eviction was posted on the 11th.

1 home is completely paid off, but the residents are supposedly 3 months behind with the last owner, now 1 month with me. After speaking with the local lawyer, he told me I have to get a judgement for the back rent, then put the home up for a sherriff’s sale by advertising in the paper. I don’t want to lose the home from the park, but I want the lot rent. Any ideas?

The other home has a note that they are paying off, but late. Apparently it is the 1st month they are late and get a grant on the 22nd for school. Lawyer told me it is a similar process to get them out too.

I offered to waive back rent from the last owner if they paid this month, but they haven’t taken my deal.

Is there a better way to do this than going through courts and lawyers?

Buy the homes from the tenants. Sure, it seems crazy to pay people who owe you money, but that’s often exactly the best avenue to take. In case #1, go buy the home for $1,000 or some other reasonable amount. In case #2, pay the guy $300 to just leave and assign any rights he has back to you. Make the payment contingent on them getting out now and leaving the home in good repair. Don’t pay them until they are literally driving off – trade the keys for the rent and then change the locks (they probably have other keys).

Your attorney won’t like this idea as he gets paid -0-. Your friends will think you’re an idiot. But it’s often the least expensive and easiest path to take. I wrote a popular article on this in the Journal recently – if you don’t subscribe, you should get it (it’s free).

Nate - Also check your state laws to determine whether an attorney is required for an eviction. If they do not require an attorney it is not difficolut to learn the process and/or teach your manager to learn it. In Indiana my site manager become so familiar with the judge that he often complimented her on her professionalism and thoroughness doing the job. We pay her $50 extra for each court visit. As unpleasant as evictions are and crazy as it might seem I believe our manager gained some personal growth and job satisfaction by getting kudos from a “high ranking official”.

If your state requires a lawyer, then it can start getting expensive. Then for sure I would do as Frank suggests.

Bret