Does your town inspect or approve trailers for rental?

Just learned the code enforcement officer is coming out to inspect interiors of the rental homes in the park. Do they have a right to do this? They are not Section 8.

When tenants get behind on their rent, they threaten to call town. That may be the case. Code enforcement officers don’t know mobile homes. A little flex in a spot on a floor is not unusual or un-serviceable.yet he may want all the floors replaced in the trailer.

I want to avoid a situation where he inspects every time it is rented and says we can’t rent it until it meets his standards. I understand there was a federal court case saying towns can’t do rental inspections.

How would you handle it?

In Texas if a tenant is behind then repair requests do not have to be performed until they are current.

I would evict all of your tenants not current to address the issue. If you do it to just this one it could be construed as retaliation. Seek advice from an attorney so this doesn’t happen again and confirmed legal

As for the inspection issue I can’t advise, but know they’re common in many cities to help prevent slumlording.

Can you provide a citation to a statute or ordinance to support that claim?

1 Like

It’s the standard language in the Texas Association of Realtors Residential Lease Form 2001 Section 18A.

Obviously repairs affecting health and safety must be addressed but other items not.

I believe most of this is covered in Property Code 92.056.

Thank you jhutson. As you stated, the landlord is only responsible for “health and safety” issues in this circumstance. Of course that is subject to the individual interpretation of the compliance officer and ultimately the court, but you don’t want to go down that road unless absolutely necessary.

Andy R, you might want to visit with the code enforcement officer to discuss this interpretation in advance and ask what you can do to protect against fraudulent claims of a delinquent tenant. This is a “people” business as much, if not more than a real estate business.

1 Like

That would be yet another good reason to get out of the POH rental business.

I think it is common knowledge that the POH rental business stinks. The problem is, how do you get and keep your park occupied without it? If the park needs a “fill” it is hard work. Getting homes into the park requires capital. Selling homes is not easy. That is the “messy”’ side of the business that goes hand-in-hand with the “superb” business of renting land to MH owners. “You can’t hurt the dirt” as my parents used to say, but “in the homes you lose your shirt” should be added.

Brandon@Sandell