Direct mailings

The teaching talk of this being a favorable tactic to identify parks for possible purchase. I know this is probably a numbers game, however I may want to target specific parks in my area. Not a great area but I have identified a few options.

Is this still a valid strategy? Is it addresses to the park owner delivered to the park office (prob not ) or do you try to identify the owner?

Thanks

Direct mailing is still a great way to find parks to buy. It allows you to hit many owners at the same time, and some sellers prefer the low-pressure of a post-card or letter over a phone call. To do it properly, however, you have to find the actual owner through property tax records. Many communities now have this information available on line. Don’t mail it to the park with “Owner” on it – the manager will trash it upon receipt.

Thought I would hit a few local parks first to see if any interest … What sime method Allows for the owner to respond/get in touch

This would be a small targeted mailing bout 25 parks

Also frank do you have any Internet in a couple of trailers in ark ?

I just got this tax record advice from Frank a few days ago.  I’ve discovered there are some great pieces of information you get when you check tax records to find an owner.  First, you get to see which parks are behind on their taxes.  If you then redo your search using the owner’s name, you can usually see how many homes he owns in the park.  If the park is owned by an LLC, you can go to the secretary of state website and find out who owns the LLC.  This will usually result in getting the owner’s home address (which you can perform a tax search on to verify).  

Has anybody tried these tactics in states like CA or others that have privacy laws? I tried the online route here in CA and was able to see the tax bill but the owners info was taken out and replaced with a blurb about privacy laws. How would you get around that too find the owner or LLC?

I have never heard of privacy laws in regards to property tax. Property tax is of public record, just like arrest records. If you allowed privacy on public records, it defeats the entire purpose of trying to keep everyone honest. But it looks like California may be the only state that has decided to make themselves even more impossible to work with. See the reference below.Although public records are records of public business, they are not necessarily available without restriction, although Freedom of Information legislation (FOI) that has been gradually introduced in many jurisdictions since the 1960s has made access easier. Each government has policies and regulations that govern the availability of information contained in public records. A common restriction is that data about a person is not normally available to others; for example, the California Public Records Act (PRA) states that “except for certain explicit exceptions, personal information maintained about an individual may not be disclosed without the person’s consent”.[4]In the United Kingdom cabinet papers were subject to the thirty year rule: until the introduction of FOI legislation, cabinet papers were not available for thirty years; some information could be withheld for longer. As of 2011 the rule still applies to some information, such as minutes of cabinet meetings.Some companies provide access, for a fee, to many public records available on the Internet. Many of them specialize in particular types of information, while some offer access to different types of record, typically to professionals in various fields. Some companies sell software with a promise of unlimited access to public records, but may provide nothing more than basic information on how to access already available and generally free public websites.[citation needed]

Thanks Frank. I does seem as though CA has added to my list of the great weather here pales in comparison to the crapshoot this state has become.

I like to visit there. I understand living there. But buying mobile home parks there is a whole different story.That being said, I wish all 101 of our parks were located there, but only if we could have bought them at 1970s prices when lot rents were $150 per month, and now enjoy the $1,000+ per month lot rents they attain. When talking about CA real estate, I think the essential question is “when did you buy that park?” If it was prior to the 1990’s, then you hit a home run. In modern times, you’re probably lucky to hit a 6% cap rate.

I agree. I’m always on the lookout for a CA park just in case I get lucky. We have three parks in my town and the minimum lot rent is around $800