Can you prevent someone from visiting?

Couple years ago I evicted a drug addict that was causing issues from the park and served her with a no trespassing. Her mom lived a couple houses down and so she would still walk through the park to her moms and visit with them. The cops told me that as long as her mom met her at the front of the park and accompanied her to their house and then walked or drove her back out to the main road that was legal.

Today I am trying to avoid a future issue from happening with another mom in the park who’s son was recently kicked out of his apartment complex and is a drug addict and issue with law enforcement. Since being kicked out he has been staying with the mom more. Not everyday but more. When she is out of town sometimes he sleeps in her shed. The cops were called the other day because he was trying to get into her house when she was out of town. He does not have keys because he has stolen from his mom before.

My concern is having someone like this around in the park may be a liability and may make residents uncomfortable. I told the mom he needs to apply to live in the park and complete a background check. I assume he will fail but we will see. The mom asked if he fails can he still visit. I said yes. But I want to know what some of you would do and how you handle issues like this?

The son has not caused major problems in the park yet but I can see it coming. So far he has just knocked on neighbors doors late at night for cigarettes, has gone to the bathroom #2 in the moms yard when sleeping in the shed I assume, and had some less than savory people riding bikes into the park looking for him. He has a felony from about 5 years ago I don’t know what for yet. The mom wants to help her son change of course. Mom pays on time and is not an issue and has one of the best yards in the park.

Have had a couple of very similar situations. The deadbeats eventually come back to mooch off the Mom who wont turn them away. You should though. I had my lawyer have the sheriff serve an ex-tenant with no trespass notice along with my tenant. He stayed off the property in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve dealt with similar situations. Do what you did with the tenant who you evicted and place a no trespass on them. If the police allow him to visit, make the visit last no longer than the day with no overnight stays. Threaten the mom with eviction if she breaks the rule.

1 Like

In Hillsborough County Florida, a deputy told me that I couldn’t trespass an individual that was visiting only the tenant could. I ended up writing a notice to the tenant threatening eviction if the person returned to the park. He didn’t come back.

2 Likes

Ask the deputy whos name is on the Park title? Enlighten him.

2 Likes

I get the happy horse crap… depending on the situation, the sheriff will say its public property, but then when i want citation for speeding, its miraculously is private property. THE CLOUT OF THE OWNER LIES WITH THE TENANT… MY LEASE SAYS THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BEHAVIOR OF THEIR GUESTS AND VIOLATIONS OF ANY RULES ARE CAUSE FOR EVICTION. Of course, i also limit overnight visit. With someone I evicted, I would tell the tenant NO OVERNIGHT, and zero tolerance for disruptions or rules violations.

1 Like

@JCas06 every state is different. For example, in Oregon, if a tenant allows anyone onto the property, we can not do anything except evict the tenant that is allowing someone that we do not want on the property and that is both costly and time consuming. In Illinois, we can simply officially ban anyone from the community just by completing a ban notice at the police station. Once they are banned, if they come back onto the property they can be arrested. I would talk with the local police department to find out your options.

1 Like

Second on talking to the local police department. It doesn’t really what matter what the law in your state is, it matters what the local police department is willing to do.

2 Likes

That’s sad but too true