An expensive lesson

Hoping this will save someone the same kind of trouble…  I found a perfect mobile to fill a space in my CO park just 2 hours away and 20 miles south of the CO/New Mexico border.  Negotiated a decent price for it and bought it.  Contacted the mover and the first thing he asked was, “what’s the snow load on this mobile’s roof?  I can’t bring it into CO if it’s not 30#.”  I’d only bought homes in CO and hadn’t encountered this question before.  (And I live in Florida).  I had to send to IBT for a duplicate Data Sheet which doesn’t really say anything other than the VIN and a map of snow loads; of course the breakpoint is right at that border.  Homes in NM require 20#, homes in CO are 30#.  (Even though this place is higher in elevation than Denver!)  It all hinges on the “initial destination” of the home which I assume is its current NM location.  This info isn’t on the Data Sheet.  Is there anything I can do at this point other than to sell it?

If it’s the wrong snow (or wind) rating, you are unable to move it.  So sell it.Wish I had better news for you, but thank you for thinking of others and for sharing,-jl-

Thank you for sharing!  We are very sorry to hear that the Snow Load was not correct.One of our Local Lonnie Dealer said that he could take a Mobile Home and change the Wind Zone by using a Certified Engineer.  Perhaps you could do this for your roof (Snow Load)?  Has anyone done this before?We are in the Southeast and our concern is Wind Zone for the Mobile Homes.Recently, I was investigating some Craigslist Mobile Homes and asked the Owners what the Wind Zone was.  These Owners did not know what a Wind Zone was.As per the hud.gov website it explained the HUD Tag/Label in Mobile Homes below:'The label numbers can be found on a data plate inside the home in one of three locations: on or near the main electrical panel, in a kitchen cabinet, in a bedroom closet. The data plate has a map of the United States to let the consumer know the Wind Zone, Snow Load, and Roof Load for which their home was built.'We wish you the very best!

Everyone who owns a park in a certain snow load or wind zone area learns this lesson the hard way – so don’t feel too bad. Just sell the home and be thankful you did not move it, put someone in it, and have the roof cave in or the home collapse. You learned the lesson the cheapest way, if you really think about it.

It’s up for sale.  Thanks for the words of support and advice, they helped a lot.

Not that you would likely change your approach to fixing your problem but keep in mind that in most cases the increase snow load is due primarily to set up- namely perimeter blocking. The house construction doesn’t differ but the set up does. But if the manufacturer didn’t tag it as 30# you are out of luck.

Thanks for sharing, this is how we learn, and sorry for your loss.  As for re-rating it, I wouldn’t bother, just sell and cut your loss.  In the hospital industry in CA, it’s not worth the trouble to (re) certify equipment for a use that the OEM, original equipment manufacturer, hasn’t specifcally listed in his specifications or cut sheet.  If the lawyers get ahold of that info, that equipment was used for a purpose other than manufacturers intention, they will have a field day with it in court.  Thanks again for sharing.
Jim Allen