1" particleboard

I pulled up some damaged flooring in a home and found it to be 1" thick particleboard. In all my years of construction I never knew such stuff even existed!!!

My question is what is the best way to replace the stuff. I have found 1" plywood. Pricey stuff but I don’t need a a lot. It would be cheaper (not by much) to run furring strips of 1/4" on the joists and then 3/4" on top of that. This could cause a lot of floor squeaks.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Rolf

I would replace with 2 layers of 1/2" OSB. These boards run about $5 each and have held up well.

I have always used true plywood (often at great cost) but have watched for a number of years now as Scott and others use the OSB with no more trouble but at 1/3 of the cost.

The 1/2" OSB falls into my new strategy that everything on my truck must perform mulitple use functions.

For example, there are times when I find older homes have a number of smaller floor repairs and that adding another one is simple not worth doing. Using one 1/2" OSB as a floor “overlay” solves the problem of increasing floor strength, leveling transitions within the room (allowing for easier floor covering).

Tony