@picassomcp , as per your post:
"Your rent collection/Notice/eviction policy"
My Husband and I own 2 MHPs.
We believe in Frank's - @frankrolfe - policy:
"No Pay...No Stay"
Now initially when we first purchased the first MHP we allowed much more time between the Due Date and the Eviction (such as the following):
• Due: 1st Day Of Each Month
• Late: 10th Day Of Each Month – If Rent Envelope Is Postmarked The 10th Or Later, A $25 Late Fee Will Be Imposed Immediately With No Written Notice.
• Eviction Process Begins: 20th Day Of Each Month – All Rents & Fees Not Paid In Full – If Rent Envelope Is NOT RECEIVED by the 20th Day Of Each Month, the Eviction Process Will Begin Including A $75 Eviction Fee.
However, we found that the Tenants would wait until the last minute to pay.
Thus, we kept refining our terms to be more and more strict.
As of today the end result is:
• Due: 1st Day Of Each Month
• Late Fee - $25: 2nd - 5th Days Of Each Month – If Envelope Is Postmarked The 2nd - 5th, A $25 Late Fee Will Be Imposed Immediately With No Written Notice.
• Late Fee - $100: 6th Day Or Later Of Each Month – If Envelope Is Postmarked The 6th Or Later, A $100 Late Fee Will Be Imposed Immediately With No Written Notice.
• Eviction Process Begins: 6th Day Of Each Month – All Rents & Fees Not Paid In Full –The Eviction Process Will Begin The 6th Day With No Written Notice.
Part of the Late Fee that we receive is used to pay for the Eviction Process.
At the end of each month we send Monthly Bills to our Tenants.
Our Monthly Bills and our Month-To-Month Leases have the following statement (Please note it is in all caps as per SC Law):
"IF YOU DO NOT PAY YOUR RENT ON TIME THIS IS YOUR NOTICE.
IF YOU DO NOT PAY YOUR RENT WITHIN FIVE DAYS OF THE DUE DATE,
THE LANDLORD CAN START TO HAVE YOU EVICTED.
YOU WILL GET NO OTHER NOTICE AS LONG AS YOU LIVE IN THIS MOBILE HOME PARK."
We then receive our payments through the mail.
For both of our MHPs the turn-around time for mail delivery is 2 days. Thus, we wait until 2 mail days after the 5th to start the Eviction Process (if the Money has not arrived).
We do not provide any other notice to the Tenants before we start the Eviction Process (because it is documented in both the Month-To-Month Leases and the Monthly Bills).
We physically drive to the one Magistrate Office to start the Eviction Process and we mail the other Magistrate Office with the needed Eviction Papers and Check.
Our Tenants have all kinds of excuses...some legit...some not.
However, our family has to pay all of our Bills on time, so I believe that it is important that our Tenants pay their Bills on time.
Our philosophy for our Tenants is:
"You do what you need to do...and we will do what we need to do"
What we need to do is just consistently follow our:
- "Customer Payment Responsibility" Policy (stated above)
If our Tenants desire to continue living in the MHP, then they will:
- Pay their Bills
@picassomcp , if you desire to change your policy, you will need to notify your Tenants of your new Policies and give them your state mandated time before you implement those new Policies.
You will then to be very consistent in implementing your new Policies.
We wish you the very best!