Wood Skiring?

Hello! One of my repairmen has suggested using wood skirting instead of the usual vinyl. He says it’s about $200 cheaper, looks great, and stands up better to trimmers and other abuse.

Thoughts?

Your maintenance man isn’t thinking this one through, he’ll be dealing with termites, painting, and no vents= rotted novadeck flooring. Plus installation will be more labor intensive and when he is done the job won’t look as good as vinyl. I advise treated wood landscape timbers spiked into ground, vinyl skirting on top of timbers. Generous application of non-selective post-emergence herbicide (round-up) around the timbers.

Jefferson,

I totally agree with Shawn. The parks I’ve seen that allow wood skirting look like slums in just a few years. Painted wood whacked with a weed eater is no prettier than whacked vinyl. It is even less attractive when it starts to rot. Using treated plywood (more expensive) is not the answer unless you have a way of solidly sealing all the edges of EACH piece.

Instead of saving $200 in the short run, Shawn’s described method (now required in some parks) costs an extra $200 but lasts far, far longer and keeps your park looking tidy, attractive, and maintaining value. That being said, any untrained yahoo with a trimmer can still whack out a vinyl panel two feet up but it is less likely.

Round-up also add a huge preventive maintenance advantage.

Steve