Why does a Crack MH get condemned?

Why does a crack house mh get condenmed? What hazards? Does it stay condenmed?Does it have to be junked? Please explain Thanks

Properties get “comdemned” for a variety of reasons. Most have to do with some type of health or safety hazard. Condeming the crack house may have just been one way to get rid of the nuisance and tenants.

You should be able to find out what health and safety issues need to be fixed and inspected in order for the home to be usuable again. Quite often these are not really big issues.

Crack addicts may not have had the power on or water on and without utilities the powers that be may have used these as the health and safety hazard.

As I understand it, where you can really get into some costs are former meth labs.

Be sure to find out first before buying such a property.

Tony

Were they cooking drugs or just using them? That’s the real question. If the home was used as a “shooting gallery”, you are probably OK. If they were manufacturing drugs, best just to walk away and feel sorry for whoever owns the place. The toxicity of the chemicals used to make things like meth can render not only the home but also the surrounding property, sewers, creeks, water table, etc., a toxic waste site.

Been through this many years ago with a duplex I once owned in one of the “best” neighborhoods in San Jose, CA (Silicon Valley). Nightmare.

Rolf

Thanks. Actually it is a mobile home I just brought in. Im not sure if it was a crack cooking place or not. It kinda looks like it was. There is this like flour or some kind of powder stuff all over the place. Im just worried about the hazards this could be to people???.The home was abandoned before I got it & I think it was used as a hangout. Evidence in place. I cant understand what these chunks of powder are. We all know its not actually crack but I think its what they used to make it. All over the bathroom sink too. I get to get this cleaned up. I was also wondering maybe it is & the cops came & they dumped it. Who knows. Im just worried about the hazards this could be?

I don’t know that crack houses have a problem- the issue is meth labs because the components are so flammable and toxic.

I’ve bought a few MHs where meth was used and sold, but not likely made, although both of them had small fires in the houses (often happens when meth is involved). I contacted drug enforcement to find out what they had done to the house- they said all their tests showed no meth residue, so I felt okay to move forward and sell the house. I would not have without their info, so check with drug enforcement to see what they can tell you.

good luck, sounds like a mess.

Anne

From my police officer days.

Crach is brewed from cocaine. Pure cocaine is “cut” using other substances to dilute its potency. Remember the basketball player who got drafted (Len Bias), took one snort of cocaine and died? He was given pure cocaine and it killed him.

The white powder you are seeing may be the “cutting agent” they used. Crack makers use all kinds of substances and I believe in one case I read they even used baby powder.

This does not mean what you are seeing is baby powder. If you clean it I would just be sure to start witih water and wear protective clothing, mask etc until you get it cleaned up.

Please don’t take this is a blanketed “your fine, go ahead,” only you can make that choice.

Tony

From my police officer days.

Crack is brewed from cocaine. Pure cocaine is “cut” using other substances to dilute its potency. Remember the basketball player who got drafted (Len Bias), took one snort of cocaine and died? He was given pure cocaine and it killed him.

The white powder you are seeing may be the “cutting agent” they used. Crack makers use all kinds of substances and I believe in one case I read they even used baby powder.

This does not mean what you are seeing is baby powder. If you clean it I would just be sure to start witih water and wear protective clothing, mask etc until you get it cleaned up.

Please don’t take this is a blanketed “your fine, go ahead,” only you can make that choice.

Tony

contact the police and ask them, please

white residue is one of the things that they tell landlords to be on the lookout for; if you have suspicions, call the cops

I had the dubious pleasure of growing up in one of the communities that pioneered crank. I first saw it in High School in 1975. Nancy Reagan mentioned my home town of Cottage Grove Oregon as the city with more junkies per capita than any other in the nation. Considering our population of less than 7,000, we had us some junkies.

This has given Oregon a sort of head start with the issue so I have followed it for a while. Contact the county or state and ask about “meth house remediation” I think thats the term. Everything I read here is right. It may be cutting agents spread around and if it is it is probably baby laxative etc. It may also just be Borax spread to kill cockroaches.

You can get straight answers about the toxicity of the house from the state if not the county. If it was a known meth cook site it will be in a national data base the state has access to. It can’t get off the list until it is dealt with according to code.

It used to be such a scary thing with the possible liver damage and brain cancer that states (at Least Oregon) outright condemned the house. There has been a change in tactics since more research has been done. Often it is very possible to make the house safe to inhabit just like they do former industrial spaces being converted to condo/loft space. The state has codes for sealants that can seal in toxic stuff from crank to solvents form dry cleaners to lead.

Don’t panic until you look into it. Some brave souls focus on meth clean-up as their main avenue to buying discount houses.

If the person you got the home from knew of the contamination and passed it along without full disclosure, they are in trouble should you push it. The seller should be made to pay for remediation and it shouldn’t take threat of a lawsuit. With all of the federal and state laws surrounding disclosure they may well be facing jail time if they don’t make it right.

On the same subject. If you don’t know the signs of cranksters you should familiarize yourself with the problem. If you are looking to sell on a note to someone who you suspect of drug use I would recommend talking to the local police if nothing else. They will usually give you a good “don’t tell them I told you this” kind of answer.

Signs of obvious druggies are sunken faces with open sores from the toxins. Premature loss of teeth. And another one I have never heard anyone else say but they tend to paint their cars with black primer. I think partly to lay low due to drug induced paranoia but also because they tend to be thieves who like there cars to be invisible at night. The primer is flat and doesn’t reflect light.

If you have residents that don’t seem to sleep or work you have crankster gangsters.

THANKS EVERYONE! I appreciate it! I tried to post yesterday but there was an error. Anyway, I spoke to the guy/seller I bought the home from & moved it in. He said it came from a beautiful & maintained 55+ park. Who knows though. It might be for rats or mice? I dont know. There is mice poo all over. What did I get my myself too??? LOL! Thanks again.