Welfare Fraud Investigator

Hello all,

I had a welfare fraud investigator leave a voicemail on my park phone line inquiring as to what individuals are listed on a lease for one of my lots. I would never lie for any tenant but I have yet to respond. I am thinking of just ignoring the call and not saying anything. Not to mention I also worry about said tenant suing me for volunteering this information. What would or have you done in situations like this?

Thanks,
Jason

I don’t entertain any of this nonsense unless it’s certified mail or have means to independently confirm.

3 Likes

This isn’t legal advice, but my initial inclination would be to ignore such a phone call - if it’s actually serious they’re welcome to serve the park with formal subpoena papers.

1 Like

I would return the call and find out what is going on… I have no reason to protect tenants but would not simply provide information over the phone without some form of confirmation as to who was requiring the information.
If in fact it was a legitimate request from a government agency would have no problems providing information requested.
The names on a landlords lease is not a secret or protected information.

1 Like

I don’t think I’d have a problem discussing this although I would not make the effort to call back. By mail is official, (but don’t have to wait for certified). Note, in our jurisdictions and probably others it is a legal requirement (statute or ordinance) to keep these kinds of records and presumably the State has a right to ask (or demand) this kind of info.

1 Like

I’m completely the newby here but I agree that it should be in writing and verify the sender is credible. Otherwise, it could be a stalking x spouse etc and you don’t want to help other people’s drama nor accelerate any potential problems. Personal information should not be given without being absolutely sure to whom you are speaking.