@adr1 , as per your question:
- “Would it be wiser to upgrade straight from the 70 amp to 200 amp system from a resale and future-proof perspective, or save the money and upgrade to the 100 amp service if that will suffice?”
- “Upgrade directly to 200 amp”
We have the following:
- Turn-Around Mobile Home Park
- 65 Lots Total
- Overhead Electrical Lines with Power Poles & Breakers: 200 Amp Breakers & 100 Amp Breakers
- Gas Lines
- Older Mobile Homes Using Gas: 4 TOHs
- Purchased 4 Years Ago: 27 Lots Filled - (20 TOHs & 7 POHs )
- Today: 51 Lots Filled - (41 TOHs & 9 POHs & 1 Cell Tower Access)
Some of the Breakers were fine…200 Amps.
Some of the Breakers were fine…at the moment…100 Amps.
Example for an Existing, Older, Small, Gas Mobile Home with a Window Air Conditioner/Heater…100 Amps:
- For the above (Older, Small, Gas Mobile Home - 100 Amps) we had 2 different Tenants live there with no problems. The problem arose when the 3rd Tenant decided to connect their Dryer. The Dryer was the deciding factor between the 100 Amps Breaker working and not working. The Dryer connection was there all along. However, it was only when the third Tenant decided to use a Dryer that the 100 Amps was not enough.
IF the Vacant Lot has an existing 100 Amp Breaker, we replace it with a New, 200 Amp Breaker after the Mobile Home is moved in (easier to place the Power Pole once the Mobile Home is in place).
Thankfully, we have an Electrical Contractor who is able to install 200 Amp Fully Dressed Power Poles (with Breaker and Copper Ground Rods ) for $550.
Over the past rolling Calendar Year we have had 15 Individuals pay to move their Mobile Homes to our Mobile Home Park.
Thus, we have used our Electrical Contractor quite a bit over the past rolling Calendar Year.
The cost between a 200 Amp Breaker and a 100 Amp Breaker is probably very negligible (our Electrical Contractor will not even think about installing a 100 Amp Breaker for our MHP).
Definitely, upgrade to the 200 Amp Breaker for you, your Tenants and for the Future MHP Owners.
We wish you the very best!