TOH Repair Bill Back

My partners and I have closed on our first park We are in the process of rewriting the park rules. All occupied homes are tenant owned. There are several that are in a state of disrepair and need to be fixed and painted. We will be giving notice to the offenders, but I have not seen an example of how to word it in the park rules and regulations. Only the ability to give notice and remedy. The examples that I have seen only relate to the mobile home space or a rented mobile home. Not an actual tenant owned home.

Any advice on this topic is greatly appreciated!

Here was what I was thinking about putting in the rules and regulations:

1. It is the responsibility of the Tenant to generally maintain the physical condition and appearance of his or her manufactured home so that the aesthetic quality and appearance of the community and the value of the community are protected and preserved. Tenants must immediately replace or repair damaged or missing skirting and siding, broken windows, exterior doors and awnings, and broken or deteriorated handrails, porches and decks. Chipped or peeling paint and rusty screws must be repaired, painted or replaced as needed. Paint colors must be approved by Management. All homes must be kept in good repair and in a neat and orderly condition and free of debris at all times. Homes with vinyl siding must keep it clean and free of dirt and moss. Plastic shall not be attached or visible on the exterior of the manufactured home, and raw insulation must not show through windows at any time (i.e., plastic over windows during the winter months.). The home must have proper window treatments such as mini-blinds or curtains and may not have blankets, towels, etc. hanging in the windows. There shall be no homemade or manufactured energy saving devices, such as solar panels, without management approval. The central air-conditioning unit must be set on the back side of the manufactured home. Window air-conditioners must be installed properly, with management approval, but may not be installed on the front (or “street”) side of the home. No tires or weights shall be placed on the top of the home.

2. If a Resident's failure to comply with the requirements of Rule 9 above materially affects health or safety, or causes destruction or disrepair and the Resident fails or refuses to correct such failure or make repairs as promptly as conditions require or within fourteen (14) days after written notice from the Landlord, whichever is first, the Landlord may enter the mobile home space, make the repairs and correct deficiencies, and submit an itemized bill of the costs as additional rent.  Such amounts shall be due on the first of the month following such submission and shall accrue interest at 10% per annum until paid in full and may be distributed over one (1) to eighteen (18) months.

Thank you for any help.

FYI, the park is in Iowa, so if anyone knows any specifics applicable Iowa law. Iowa 562B only talks about remedies for the mobile home space not the mobile home. But it also does not say we cannot put that in the rules and regulations.

I would probably not get as detailed with the types of repairs required because you will get into conversations like “the rules don’t call out this specific situation so my car can stay on blocks as long as I want.”

Why is not keeping the lots and any improvements in good repair and void of damage or unsightly properties that could adversely affect safety or property values not good enough? I would see what type of vague rules HOA’s use in your area and use that as a starting point.

I personally wouldn’t charge interest.

At my park tenants get invoiced each month for their rent, and any additional charges get added onto the invoice. We don’t accept partial payments, so they have to pay it along with their rent or the payment won’t be accepted.

If it’s a larger repair bill, we’ll break the payments up into $25-$60 a month payments until paid off.

If you want to include some kind of mark up, I would charge an administration fee that increases the total balance rather than interest.