Things to look for in Septic Inspection

Hi Everyone. What are the important things to know or to look out for when inspecting a septic? I am looking at a 30 pad park with 2 homes per septic. Septic tank is 3000 gallons per two homes.

1 Like

The best thing to know is that you should hire a professional to inspect it. The pro can answer questions along the lines of design, capacity, and regulatory concerns. Ask how you can get comfortable the systems can handle everyone taking a shower after 2 days of rain.

1 Like

thanks! @jhutson great question to ask them

1 Like

Something to look at is the county’s rules for when repair permits will not be issued. I am working on a project in Illinois that the City extended a new sewer line past. Because the new public sewer is within 300’ of the community, they will not allow repairs to the septic system, but are requiring connection to the city main. Sadly this is a very common ordinance requirement nowadays. I have seen the distance range from 250’ to 1000’. It can put you in a tough spot if you didn’t plan on re-plumbing the entire park.

These rules are usually located in the environmental health department’s ordinances.

2 Likes

If you haven’t closed on the park yet, consider having several sewer contractors give you bids on the installation of the system and then factor it into the purchase price. This can be a great point when using ‘consultative negotiation’, which Frank discusses in the podcast below.

If you are planning a short-term exit, connecting to city sewer might not be the best bet. But I have heard that it is best to always plan (and negotiate) with a long-term hold strategy in mind.

Under normal conditions and good septic tank care, a leach-field or septic tank will last for 50 years or more. A concrete septic tank is sturdy and reliable but can be damaged or destroyed due to many factors. If you have any questions, please visit: Septic Works LLC