The Benefits of Sub Metering Water for Users

I hope this information serves useful to somebody:

For apartments, condos and other types of multi-family residences, sub metering water is a great option and one that is essential for property managers and owners to consider.

More often than not, owners believe that the added cost of putting smart meters on every unit is not cost-effective and will not impact the quality of life for their residents, nor will it add any value to their rentals. For those owners who have made the switch, however, it’s a different story: this advanced system is highly effective and an easy way to manage utility payment in a way that is fair, manageable and protects you from sudden unexpected large bills due to leaks or heavy water users within the building.

If you’re doubting the benefits of using such system, let’s take a look at the positive effects of having individual meters on each unit, from a renters’ perspective.

CONTROLLED BILLS

With sub metering water, tenants will only be paying for the water they are using in their own apartment. This means neighbors who are heavy water users will pay more than the ones who aren’t.

Additionally, with a top system, the property manager or the owner will be able to see up-to-the-minute readings on each unit. This will allow you to develop an understanding of the actual water use in the building and perhaps to implement initiatives for residents on how to reduce water waste.

WATCH FOR LEAKS

Leaks that are undetected in the walls of units or even from different appliances, faucets or fixtures in a home or apartment can really add up. By having a good understanding of typical water use per unit, it is easy to spot high usage and follow up quickly. From a renters’ standpoint, this will encourage you to signal smaller leaks, as they will affect your water consumption cost.

From an owner’s perspective, this not only helps to reduce the cost of water, but it can also reduce the risk of significant structural damage that may occur, should leaks go undetected for long periods of time. This is also critical in making sure vacant units stay leak-free, which is always a concern if they are not checked on a daily basis.

Additionally, through sub metering water, it will be easier to bring new tenants into the building since they will have the ability to pay for their own water use. This is a key factor in many apartments searched. Having the meters in place is the first step in meeting these needs for new potential residents.

1 Like

Thank you for that information, very helpful

Anytime, feel free to ask anything when it comes to sub metering and ill do the best I can to steer you in the right direction.

Hi

What would you consider as a cost effective system for a 40 lot park (well and septic) and a 30 lot park (city water and sewer)

Both have vacancies that I am trying to fill

Thanks

You have options.

Touch pad Pulse system would be a cheap and effective method

However, from what we have seen, a Radio Fixed Based system would be the more efficient/proactive way to maintain, monitor, and offset that variable utility expense.

For city water and sewer:
It all boils down to your objective or motive to meter and the amount your looking to spend

For the well and septic:
We need to consider the quality of the water coming out of the well and the pipe lines to determine what meter would work best .

With more details we could find a perfect fit for you.

I have specific numbers and information on all available options for you to look at.

Do you have an email or phone number where I can reach you?

Gabriel@abtwater.com

Hi Gabriel, does your service provide wireless cut-off (and reconnection) capability if tenants doesn’t pay the bills?

We can, and it is available, however its extremely expensive to meter your whole park with the actuator valves that would allow that capability. about 300 dollars per valve from our experience.

Definitely something to consider if you have one or two problem children in the park but not a whole community unless you have the money to do so…

Gabriel@abtwater.com

REAL RESULTS

In Florida, the costs of water and sewer are astronomical. I thought sharing the actual results may help others. I have just competed an evaluation of 4 communities regarding water billing. All of these communities would be considered “working class” with more POH then resident owned to this point.

Summary of results-

Community 1 (city water, septic) was submetered already, tracking from 2015 to 2016 water useage was down 1%, stable but no change

Community #2 (city water and sewer) was submetered in Q3 2015 and reseident billing was transferred in Q4. results to date show a reduction of 45%in water useage!

Community #3 (city water and sewer) was submetered in Q4 and billing began in Q1- year to date results have lowered consumption by 61%!

Community #4 (city water and sewer) has recently been submetered, but billing has not been transferred to theresidents yet, this has resulted in a 21% reduction in consumption

Community #5- Just ordered the meters last week.

I am not posting to brag, obly to state I wish I had taken this initiative MUCH sooner!

1 Like

Beacon system from badger meters. cellular endpoints read meters every day and send readings to the cloud database. you know about leaks within 24 hours and the software automatically watches for leaks or anyone tampering with the meters.