Tenant got a new dog, now what?

small park in Texas. Tenant just got a “Boxer-blend” dog–that is what the papers from the city say when they took it to get registered… Some tenants say it looks like a pit. The dog is 34 lbs.

two questions:

1. rules say no dog over 30 lbs so is this a blatant “no”?

2. how can I tell if it is a boxer-blend or whatever? I was going to show pic to a vet to verify. Your thoughts?

Thank you

Pat

Get rid of it on the 30+ pound rule basis. Don’t get into the mutt genetics business unless you have to.

3 Likes

Biggest mistake any park owner can make is having rules they do not enforce. Tenants will learn that they can break any rules they choose.
Rules exist for a reason. If there is a violation either enforce it or change your rules.

IMHO, the breed is irrelevant. Your rules are your rules. It’s over-size limits.
My rules say no dogs and that is fully and consistently enforced along with any other rule.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. What difference does the breed/type make? Keep it simple!

And Greg is also 100% correct. Enforce your rules — all your rules — Every. Single. Time. If you don’t enforce on this tenant, you will have big problems enforcing on any other.

1 Like

I agree - enforce the rules without exception. I have more issues with dogs than anything else. Just bought a park in Texas and 5 or 6 dogs running free - some were tenant’s dogs but some just strays. Gave notice that all unleashed dogs would be considered strays and handed over to the Asian market. City animal control picked up three and all others are now leashed. I am considering next property being “no dog” park. Difficult when you take over a weak property and want to retain tenants.

Yeah, that dog is a no. Tenant must get rid of oversize dog or they are in breach of lease.

Did they not know park rules, or just trying to slide one by?

The Asian remark is not needed here. Did you know that all over the world they still eat dogs? Even in the USA. Sweden only outlawed it in 1982. Wisconsin still allows it. 43 states still allow it! I have actually done research and have copious amounts of documents on this. (I abhor the practice, but can’t stand stereotyping others).

Just saying that you can tell your renters that you will euthanize, or send the strays to the pound. No racial stereotypes needed. Thanks.
It’s Still Legal To Eat Dogs In The United States-And Yes, It Happens - Dogtime

1 Like