Rotten Electric pole

One of the electric poles in our park is rotten and started tilting towards a home so the electric company shut off the power to the tenant as a cautionary measure. My question is:

Is the actual pole the responsibility of the park owner? We called the electric company and they told us it was our responsibility so we called a bunch of electricians but none of them are interested in fixing it. What are our options here? This park is near Green Bay if that helps. Thanks

You have a few options.
1st priority is safety. So glad the power is off.
2nd is try to fix the current pole.

Here is what I have done in the past.
I dig a hole right next to the current pole. I dig is 3’ x 3’ x 3’ (yes way over kill)
I set up a form using one of the 12" round quick tubes https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-8-in-x-48-in-Concrete-Form-Tube-65470075/100321209. Secure the post in the Quick Tube and pour it full of concrete. For extra measure I like to coat the bottom end of the pole with Henry’s Roof Patch. I coat about 4-5 feet of the pole in that stuff.

The other option is to ask around for a used Utility Pole. https://www.nssccorp.com/products/recycled-utility-poles/The problem here is shipping. Unless you can find one close by the Shipping is outrageous. The power company will not want you to install a square 8"x8" x 15’ foot pole. They like the Round poles.

AW

1 Like

Call the local electric utility maintenance department in the town / city. In a lot of cases pole placement is subbed out and they will give you their contractor’s number. Send your manager in person to get it, they will never provide it over the phone.

Have the story ready about your tenant who had the power turned off and it’s really urgent to have resolved asap - and they really put you in a bind by not giving you notice, etc.

2 Likes

One state I’m in, poles are my responsibility. The other, the electric company owns them and it’s a simple call to have it resolved. Sounds like you own this one, you just need to get a pro out there to set a new pole or reinforce. About $1,000 job near me

1 Like

Is the meter for the house on the pole ? Sounds like this is your responsibility. I have lately, started trying to be a bit more proactive on this . The ones that look like they are on their last leg, when i have nothing going on , looking at getting those replaced. Figuring this as kind of preventative before a storm comes through …

1 Like

If you own the pole, it is your responsibility. Utilities usually put a metal tag on the pole with a number so they can identify it if they own it. Many electricians do not install poles. I have found that those who do the heavy electrical work would rather install 100 poles for Duke Energy than 1 for me. I was quoted $1500 to install guy wires on a rotten pole in the past and $3,000 to replace the pole.

An alternative is to install 2 vertical posts with cross boards upon which to install the meter box. Conduit comes out the top and is high enough to meet code with a service entrance on the top. This can be done with parts from the local big box store rather than shipping poles from the manufacturer. If you are handy, you can do this yourself then call your local electrician to attach the wiring/meter. See attached photo.

1 Like