Richmond VA MHP - Good Intentions Run Amok

I found this to be an interesting story about a park in Richmond, VA, and Basically, the city comes in and identifies a load of code violations so that the occupants live in a safe home/community. If/when the violations aren’t corrected the city evicts the MH owners, putting people out on the street. Here’s an article from last year for some background:

Jun 2014 Article

And here’s what is going on more recently… tenants suing the city:
Sep 2015 Article

Recently read another article about an old, crummy park in Mesa, AZ basically being condemned and people being tossed out there too.

Guess the cities would rather have more homeless than folks living in places that aren’t 100% safe.

-Drew

The blame falls on the city and the park owners for not enforcing the codes from day one. I have parks around mine that are pathetic run down dumps that and I would love to see the city step in and enforce the codes or shut down. Instead they turn a blind eye because the residents are supposedly poor. Mobile home owners and park owners need to be forced to meet the same codes as everyone else to maintain standards. Being poor is no excuse for breaking the law or risking lives. If tenants are too poor they should not have the responsibility of owning a home and if park owners are too cheap they should be run out of the business. This is not about a few poor people losing their homes. The city had a responsibility to enforce the codes and they did not but now it is better late than have someone lose their life.
It’s too bad for the homeowners but these conditions can not remain and it is not the cities (tax payers) responsibility to step in and help home owners or park owners.

1 Like

Rudd’s trailer park is close to a park I own and it’s one that I loosely entertained the idea of purchasing at one point. What I can tell you is that the park is an absolute dump. The owner is a nice, charismatic guy but he is definitely a slumlord. Years of not taking care of deferred maintenance, improper resident screening, and virtually no rules are leading to this park’s demise. The city was probably correct in stepping in on this one. On a side note, Rudd’s is on the market right now.

1 Like

Regardless of your feelings on humanity, slumlording never pays off simply on an economics basis. Those who engage in it think they are making more money by refusing to engage in any repairs or capital expenditures. Instead, they doom their park to either being shut down by the city or selling at a crazy high cap rate. Good park management, for most owners, is to keep the property at a reasonable standard of condition, and one that is in-line with city and state codes. Whether you want to take it to the highest level as far as landscaping and detail is up to the owner, as often these things go unrewarded with higher net income. But slumlording is never a smart idea, regardless of the property.

1 Like

About 10 years ago I did some lonnie deals in a number of parks in Las Vegas and Maryland and totally agree that slumlording is and all around bad idea for tenants and owners. As I’ve been lazily looking at parks to purchase it’s clear that there are some out there beyond saving, perhaps Rudd’s is one of those.

On a different note, I think it’s interesting how code enforcement is implemented. I’ve got a rental in DC and, before I could get a business license (yes, you need a business license to rent a property in DC) you have to get a property inspection where they ensured the place was safe. It really wasn’t that onerous other than demanding everything be fixed within 30 days or get fined… but they couldn’t come back to inspect for almost 60 days. However, I found it a bit ironic that the city did an inspection on a place where I have a 40 year old tenant, but does nothing on owner occupied homes where, in my case, I have an 11 year old kid.

Anyway, just some random thoughts, appreciate the feedback above!

County has no liability issues in the case of owner occupied. You have the right to do as you please no one cares or is responsible beyond the owner.
Where as the safety of a renter is the responsibility of the landlord and the county liability wise.

hello Mr Charles, I am a disabled homeless vet. I live in a park down the street from rudds. I am looking for a trailer to rent for my wife and myself. if you can help me, please do. I do have an income and my wife is looking for work. give me a call with any help or information you have. thank you and God bless. 215-758-6087.

I passed along your number to both our district manager and community manager. If you do not hear from either of them by Monday, Please call (804) 704-8778 extension 1. Both are very busy this week so if all else fails, just send me a private message on here and I’ll do my best to assist you in any way I can. The address to the community is: 2619 N Stedman Dr Petersburg, VA.