Public Water System versus Extend City Services Business Case

Looking at a smaller Park with private utilities in the ETJ - literally 100 feet from City limits. Has about 12 homes on it but lots of room to grow, and the metro economics / rents are amazing.

Looking at the economics behind expanding and how the utilities would work. Here are the scenarios - could extend the City’s utilities to the property line if: 1) Convince neighbor to get annexed and also do the same for this property and City will absorb development cost - not sure feasibility as zoning is R1 in the area and would likely limit expansion approvals by City; 2) Pay roughly 35K in development, impact, tap fees to extend a 3/4 water line 200 feet (need to confirm extent of cost increases on a 1 inch or larger line, and also if capacity is available); 3) Drill a new well and become a Public Water System (other wells in the area are 250 feet deep and provide 20-40GPM, probably ~30K-50K investment - maybe more if drill two holes for redundancy); 4) Wait for the City to extend them on their own and do nothing until that time (probably 5-10 years, maybe longer). Could also extend sewer 1200’ feet about 1/4 mile for 60K under the same scenarios.

I am leaning towards option 2 or 3.

Question - what is the rough cost of a licensed operator to manage your public water system per month? I know compliance costs are increasing alongside more stringent regulations, but the same can be said for public utility water costs as well.

For those of you that have experience with public and private utilities - what would you do? Thank you!

@PhillipMerrill

1 Like

How many spaces do you invision adding to the park? Lets start with that goal and build backward.

Peak demand per home is a minimum or 3 to 5 gallon per minute. At your 12 homes peak demand would be 36 to 60 gpm. There is no way a 3/4 inch service from the city will work. 1" pvc will lose 20 psi per 100 feet of pipe at 30 gpm not going to work either. I would not put smaller than a 2 inch service to the park. With a 2 inch service you could build out the park to 30 plus spaces and be ok. Price this out then you will have something to compare to building your own water system.

I think for a 30 space park or smaller you could build a water system for $50k for one well but it depends on engineering and permit costs. Should be able to find someone to operate it for $500 to $1500 a month depending on if there is treatment or not. Yearly lab will probably be $2500 or less. Most years lab would be less $1500 but some years you will get hit of expensive lab.

Feel free call if you need more help.

503 733 7400

2 Likes

How do you manage the risk (liability) of people getting sick from your water?

1 Like

There are some pretty steep insurance requirements for public water system operators in my state - is it fair to assume that provides coverage unless gross negligence involved? I have more comfort with a Public System than the little well with few requirements there today.

I wonder how some of these Parks operate with their setups. @Deleted_User_ME remember the one with orange water?

2 Likes

@jhutson Orange Water? :grin: That was just the tip of the ice berg :smile:

1 Like

Here are my thoughts on risk mitigation. Exposure to risk is never eliminated but it can be reduced. In my mind there are different levels of risk. Level 1 is a run of the mill water system with no history of microbial contamination, or other contamination. Level 2 water systems those with no history or contamination but have a high potential to become contaminated due to well construction (either improper construction, or shallow depth). Level 3 water systems have a history of contamination that has been addressed via treatment. Level 4 water systems those with a history of contamination and have done little to nothing to address or treat the contamination. There are lots of systems out here in Level 3 and 4 with arsenic, uranium, nitrates, fluoride, e-coli and other contaminates. Common sense would say stay away from Level 3 and 4 systems however not all contaminates are equal nor are all levels of contamination are equal. Say you have a system with uranium that has a treatment system to remove the uranium great now the water is safe but what do you do with the waste stream or media that is full of uranium?

I’m not an attorney but do the following and believe it will reduce my exposure. This would apply to doing operations in house or out sourcing.

Documentation of following industry standard Best Practices must take place.

Maintenance and repair best practice example. Do you have a written Best practice in place for a pipe repair? It would be something like this: If possible repair the leak with out depressurizing the system. If system must be depressurized for repair excavate below the level of the pipe before cutting pipe to repair, spray 200 ppm chlorine solution into parts of pipe exposed to atmosphere, repair, being chlorinating entire water system, re-pressurize, flush lines, check for leaks, place area that was depressurized on boil water notice (place notices on all affected house doors) until results of coliform bacteria sample can be obtained from laboratory demonstrating no coliform bacteria is present. Continue system wide chlorination for 1 week if system does not already continuously chlorinate. Pipe repair is a common way bacterial contamination enters the system and most repairs are done under less than sanitary conditions in a hurry up and get the system back up because every one is complaining about being out of water.

Log all system activities, Log all customer contacts

Best Practice of maintaining documented history of sampling as required by regulator authority. The system being discussed above sounds like a non community system with minimal operational or sampling requirements.

A history of compliance shows professionalism and concern for customer. A history of noncompliance is an invitation for any person who gets sick for any reason to sue you.

Hiring a third party to operate a water system does provide a partial umbrella to liability assuming they are doing the above. However it does not provide a complete umbrella and the third party must be managed to assure compliance and best practices are maintained. The same way that a park manager cant be left to their own devises neither can a water system operator. How many stories have you heard about managers robing the park blind. There are operators (in house and out of house) putting the bulls-eye on the park by sloppy operation of the water sytem. Obviously the third part should have adequate liability insurance, workers comp insurance, vehicle insurance etc.

I have two standard clauses in my operation contracts. In the first one the system owner acknowledges that there are many possible sources of contamination to the water source, and that operator has no control over these. However by following industry best practices these can be identified, and reduced. The second clause is the ability to terminate the contract if the owner fails to follow industry best practices, or operators advice is ignored and this either does or has the potential to increase health risks, or violates any state or federal standard. These clauses theoretically reduce my risk exposure.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Had a client with private water system who was having problem collecting pad rent from a tennat. She called EPA and said her baby got sick from the well water provided by the park. EPA closed him down before they even checked the water quality. Most of his tenants mover because they had no water. He eventually went bankrupt.

1 Like