Property tax charged to park owner for abandoned homes

Hello, i have a question for other owners, especially those of you in Ohio. We have three parks in Ohio and when a mobile home is abandoned the property taxes are then being charged to us even though the owner’s name is not us it is so old mobile home owner. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I have spoken to an attorney about doing abandonment titles and he says it’s not worth the process however I feel it is does anybody know how you go about it in Ohio?
Thanks for the responses

I don’t know specifically to OH (so treat this as completely ignorant advice) but in general the tax collector gets first dibs on the abandoned home. You might be able to hurry the process along and then bid on it when it is auctioned for back taxes. Or you might be able to strike a deal with the tax collector. You can always say to the tax collector “we won’t pay, come levy the taxes and seize the property (p.s. we don’t own it anyway).”

In theory. In practice, they can make your life difficult and the payment may be less than the aggro.

You might also be able to follow state-law procedures to correctly notify the tax authority they have such-and-such an amount of time to come collect the home otherwise you get it free-and-clear of any tax liens. That would be according to a state statute that you could look up the procedures for.

You are going to have to clean up those homes anyway if they are abandoned, so you ought to take responsibility now. There is a procedure you will need to follow to take title and the Ohio MHA should know what it is. Then you have to demolish (or if it is less cost, rehab and rent or sell).

Hi @tsjones,

We have a park in Ohio and have gone through the abandonment process for a dozen homes. We love Elizabeth Birch, who is the lawyer for the Ohio Manufactured Housing Association. She has helped us through the abandonment process and many other legal issues.

I should note that she is free for general issues and charges a very modest fee for specific issues.

All my best. Feel free to PM me anytime. Will

1 Like

Great advice thank you both for your info. I will look into both of your advice.

That was some very good advice…impressed