Pre Screening Tenants

What services do you use for pre sceening applicants? What credit checks and reference checks do you use and do you have a vendor of choice and costs? Thanks for the help!

We use MySmartMove.com

We do not charge an application fee.

This is our process:

1. Give their application the sniff test for income, work history, pets, and other questions you might care about.

2. If they pass that then we call and verify their employment, previous landlords, and references

3. After all this if we still like them then we tell them they are approved pending a background check. We collect their email and send them a background check that they need to complete through MySmartMove. It costs them $35 and we pass that cost on to them. If they pay it, we know they are committed.

4. We either approve or reject.

There may be better screening processes or services but we have found success with this.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Thanks Charlie. Looks like a pretty slick app that will help make better tenant decisioning. Have my manager looking at it. Couldnt find the pricing on the site and havent heard back from Mysmartmove after contacting them.

We just use it free and the only expense is the $35 screening we pass on to the applicant.

I should say that we are also in the process of moving over to tenantcloud for all of our tenant/property management. The service is free up to 75 units and it also has a prescreening service that can be passed along to the tenant.

Good luck.

Ill just add that if you are looking for a more expansive solution, smart move is integrated into buildum software. I think the same report costs 12 bucks or something and then you charge your app fee ( say 30 or 40 ) and it offsets some of the other time and expense in processing the app. Just to throw that out there. Buildum is not a free software though.

Thanks for the information.

How do you list the pads available? I tried doing it and it won’t let me continue unless I enter bedroom and bathroom numbers,

@cgwolfe Create property > Add unit

Bedroom/bath is not a mandatory field.

Also I suggest messaging them for a live walkthrough. Thats what we did and it was very helpful.

We just finished adding everything in so I can’t speak to how well it works yet. But so far its seems pretty slick.

Good luck.