Potential upside for billing back water

I’m looking at a small park which is on city water and septic. The water is master-metered. To capitalize on the upside upon purchasing, I’d implement sub-metering. Understanding the initial cost to install Metron meters, how much could I anticipate saving on the water bill after sub-metering? The monthly utility cost per lot is $65. I’m awaiting further break-down of the utilities expenses (between septic maintenance and real water costs). What percentage of the water cost is typically saved after installation of Metron meters?

We just had Metron meters installed and I am very impressed. Our park was master metered a year ago October. Prior to that we paid the city a ‘per space’ water bill of $32 per month. We paid the water for our residents When the city installed the master meter to the park our water bill tripled. We had major leaks and were bleeding water. The decision to individually meter for us was a urgent expense control measure.

The meters and data they provide have been amazing in helping us address our water leaks. Checking the data daily allows us to stay on top of any water issues. We will continue to pay the water for our residents in with a base allowance of 225 gallons per day. Monthly usage over that benchmark will be billed back to the residents.

Eventually we will probably surcharge all water to the residents.

I think most owners, on average, say that their water bills drop 20 - 30%. That was our experience when we installed Metron’s meters in our park. That only works if you’re pushing that cost/accountability back onto the resident in some form though. In an ideal situation, residents would pay for every gallon of usage as well as the monthly cost of the meter so this expense would break even after install. Check your local jurisdiction though about meter bill back fees and rates. If you can’t bill the meter fee directly, roll it into the next lot rent increase.

After our install, there are a lot less kid-sized swimming pools being filled and dumped daily in the summer now!

Anyone know the approx. cost of a 3/4" Metron meter? I just had meters and all new water lines installed in my park but will consider upgrading to an automatic meter system at a later time or in my next project. It would save someone having to read the meter once a month.

I’m copying my response in another thread, hope it helps!

When we installed back in August of 2018, they offered us several different options for the meters. These were all for 60-month contracts where Metron will maintain and warranty the meter’s operation outside of neglect and abuse. It also allows for access to their WaterScope software which will monitor the meters hourly and update you daily from the gateway they will install in the park. The contract will need to be renewed after 60 months at a quoted rate of $3.75/meter/mo.

Installed by Metron:

1. $375/meter up front
  2. $175/meter up front, $3.75/mo/meter.
  3. $85/meter up front, $5.75/mo/meter

Self Installed:

1. $340/meter up front
  2. $55/meter up front, $5.50/mo/meter

We opted to self install due to their schedule being 8 - 10 weeks out at that time. I also wanted to update all of the service lines in the park up to the homes to PEX so this was an opportune time to knock all of that out at once. In TN we’re able to charge back the meter fee so we paid the $55 up front and rolled the meter fee into the tenant’s water bill. They still come out ahead from having individual city meters, but of course, they don’t see it that way!

Of course, Metron’s quotes for your parks may differ but that’s where we landed.

I will say that having the daily alerts is great peace of mind in a small park where water bills have fluctuated from $900/mo to over $1,800/mo. One of our residents had a major blow out of some galvanized pipe in the pan of his home. He had no idea and would have likely let it run for months, but we were able to alert him and get the leak (waterfall?) stopped within a day. This happened to the previous owner as well with another home and caused the $1,800 water bill that he had to cover. That alone has likely paid for the meters already.