Park with a lot of dogs

I have a park under contract in a small town. The due diligence was going really well, and then I just did the site visit and saw that ~20% of the units have dangerous breeds of dogs.

Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with one or two dangerous breeds that I’m going to have to kick out, but 10+ seems like it’s going to be a pretty big problem. The current manager confirmed that telling that many people at once to get rid of their dogs is not going to go down well at all, she would consider quitting before doing that. This is a small town in a red state with a more ‘don’t tread on me’ culture.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? The deal was never a homerun, so I’m considering just dropping it over these dogs.

1 Like

If you are not going to give notice to get rid of the dogs you would be better off passing on the deal. If you go forward you will need to replace the manager regardless as she is not prepared to do her job.
Landlords should never make rules they can not or do not want to inforce.
The reality is that getting rid of those tenants would likely be a plus for the entire community. You would be doing all residents a favour.

1 Like

I went to look at a park last week and everything Kurt Kelly says not to have was there
Trampoline, above ground pool, pitbull tied up on a chain, old furniture everywhere. A complete mess. I couldn’t believe some one would show their property like this. I told them by email (not in person lol) all of it needs to be taken care of before i send the deposit.

Same thing with the dangerous dogs. If a bank sees it they prob will think twice about the loan and if insurance agents sees it …

Can a new park owner give notice about removal of certain breed dogs even if they are grandfathered in?

Yes, when a new owner takes over the first thing they do is issue new Community rules. Grandfathering does not apply to dogs any more than to the appearance and upkeep of the lots. Additional you may choose to not renew tenants leases.

As a landlord you also have the responsibility of learning all the state landlord tenant regulations governing your business. Any landlord that does not know their state regulations is irresponsible in regards to the operation of their business.

hi @Noel_S how did you resolve this issue, i’m in same problem i was too deep into due diligence so closed on a park last week and there are quite a few dangerous breeds …I’m trying to figure out what would be the best way to get those dogs out