NY Eviction help

Working on first eviction in upstate NY tenant owned home. I am being told by my attorney that I must move owners trailer from one section of my park to another section of my park, which makes absolutely no sense to me.I just want tenant and trailer gone. Have gone through all proper procedures and have an eviction day. Can anyone give me some advice.
Thank you

Recent post on this topic, you might check it out

Where we are in upstate NY the law states that if a landlord evicts a tenant the landlord must store the tenant’s personal belongings at landlord’s cost until the tenant claims them. This law might make some sense for an apartment landlord who holds former tenant’s personal belongings in a mini storage unit for a couple of months. Several municipalities have applied this law directly to MHC arguing that you must store the home of the tenant you evict since that is “personal property”. Pretty crazy. You may want to check with another attorney though as for the storage bit - last I heard there was a new rule implemented in the state allowing owners to just let the home sit on their lot with a padlock on and then file abandonment and claim ownership after 6 months.

We have parks in 8 states and we’re BIG believers in ruling with an iron fist when it comes to no-pay, no-stay. But in NY that approach sort of backfired. We have had much better success with evictions in NY by staying OUT of the courtroom. We now offer a “Cash for keys (i.e. home)” program. If the home was built prior to 1995 then there is no title in NY - they will simply write us a bill of sale. If it’s an older home in rougher shape, we agree to drop eviction charges and give them $500 cash if they will be out on the prescribed day after we do a walk-through of the home. If the home is nicer / newer we may need to purchase the home as well, but in most cases it’s a much better alternative than “storing” their home.

2 Likes

Thank you for response.
Can anyone recommend eviction lawyer that specializes in mobile home park evictions in Columbia county NY.
Thanks

1 Like

Fire did you find an attorney to help you with evictions, upstate?

Hi, I plan on purchasing a MHP in ht e NY area soon and was wondering if you can recommend an attorney who has experience with MHPs.
Thanks,
Dani

1 Like

Hi Scott,
I did find an attorney and my apologies for responding so late.

Hi Dani,

We did not use an attorney that specialized in MH parks. We used a basic RE attorney.

Hi Dani,
Did you happen to find a MHP attorney in upstate NY and if so, could you recommend?
Thanks,
Liz

Yes,
Michael N. Bruno
mbruno@dsblawyers.com

Good luck!

Thank you very much! I will reach out.

agree with Dani, use Mike