New sewer line while most homes are out? our first park

Hi all, this is my first post. We have a park where there is an almost empty court of app 10 spaces, it is about 275 feet from one end to the other in a straight line. It runs right through the middle of the lots and is under the homes. The high point of sewer line starts at one end and runs straight to the street. There are currently only 2 homes the others are all out now. One home is at the beginning o the run and the other is just where the sewer line turns and goes downhill to the rest of the park.
Had a camera inspection and while there are no collapses it is a hodge podge of tile and plastic, missing risers and some issues that are not deal killers but may be a headache in the future.

My question to you all is would you go ahead and replace this line now while the area is open or make due with what is in place. Will a new sewer line have an effect on the appraised value of the park?

I have a contractor in the area that we have had great success with and would most likely pull my own permit, buy the materials, rent a small excavator and have them do the work (they are familiar with this type of work), so the cost may not be extravagant but will still be a few thousand dollars I would imagine. It sure seems like to me this would be the time to take the hit and do the work before moving in new homes?
I really appreciate any advice or comments, thank you very much!!

sewer line question.pdf (19.6 KB)

If those lines run under the homes and the park is mainly vacant and you can afford this is an easy question.

Get it done!

3 Likes

If the sewer main is under the homes (or home sites,) this may not be code compliant. Check your local codes and be sure.

1 Like

That is a great point, thank you Brandon!

I agree, just wanted to hear from others more experienced. Thank you Corbay!

This sounds like something you can’t afford not to do. I was raised as a plumber, have put sewer systems in subdivisions and what I learned is I would hire an engineer to design it for me, then install it myself as you describe. If you move homes in, hook them to the old line, the tiles will collapse or snag paper, diapers, blue jeans and the unbelievable stuff ppl flush down the toilet (ask me how I know). (also why municipal sewers are desirable and private systems are not)
So then you would be putting a new line in out in the street, blocking traffic, and tying in lines while people are flushing the toilet. You can ask them not to but they do anyway (ask me how I know). So doing it upfront, if you can afford it is way better

2 Likes

You must do it now. Apparently I have to write 20 characters to get this to post so really do it now.

1 Like

thank you for the reply, I think I now have good data from experienced owners that say this will be well worth it!

lol, thank you for taking the time to reply, we appreciate it!