New Indiana law makes it easier to take possession of abandoned homes

Legislative Alert: Governor Signs HB 1087 Into Law

Today, Governor Mike Pence signed HB 1087 into law.
One of the most important issues addressed in this bill was placing back into law the abandoned home process for MH communities. This specific section of law TAKES EFFECT Today, March 24, 2016 and applies to a manufactured home located in a MH Community. If the community believes a manufactured home has been abandoned on their property, the community may sell the home if it has been left without permission on the property for at least 30 days. The landowner is to send a notice to the last known address of the MH owner as shown by the BMV. If no address can be determined a notice may be posted on the manufactured home. Lienholders with a perfected security interest in the home or others known to claim interest in the home, as shown by BMV, are also to be notified.

There are other steps including notification of the county treasurer and a final notification to the MH owner that if the home is not removed in 10 days after receipt of the notice, the home will be advertised for sale by auction. If the home is not purchased by a bidder at the auction, the landowner or any donee, shall be listed as the purchaser on the affidavit of sale or disposal.

Specific statutory language on the abandoned MH process for MH communities and other manufactured housing issues addressed in House Enrolled Act 1087 can be found on the following link:

http://www.imharvic.org/Portals/46/MH_Portions_HEA_1087.pdf

Thanks for posting this. I had heard the State was working on this. It sounds like they are basically allowing park owners to get the title like they used to only allow people who just have a mobile home on their non mobile home park private property.
Previously parks had to get a court order to get a title. Although I have a nearby county that will give me a court order within an hours time, so I’m not sure how much easier this new law will actually be.
Thanks again for sharing