Making offer via listing broker

So the listing broker will be representing both the seller and me. Broker sent over contract for review and wondering if I should still have attorney review it.

Does the broker have my interests in mind or just the seller? Or just theirs?

Thoughts?

Probably the seller. If you haven’t seen 1000 contracts then get your attorney to look it over.
He mainly wants to get paid.

1 Like

If the Seller has a broker I just punt my side to an agent or Broker I know in state who will represent my interests. You’re going to be out the 4 or 6% regardless, you might as well get someone in there that will represent you - and get some good will with your person in the process.

This broker will say he / she is “independent” as required by state law, but he doesn’t give one half of one turd about your interests. When these deals go sideways lots of complaints get filed with the state’s real estate commission and then there is all sorts of CYA.

If you do keep this arrangement you need to deal with this broker as if you don’t trust them at all. Don’t tell them your lowest offer and then start higher - you’ll screw yourself.

2 Likes

Met with an attorney and he recommended some changes and identified some conflicting language pertaining to my deposit. Even if the broker had my interests in mind, the language may have had unintended consequences.

The time with the attorney was well spent.

3 Likes

NEWSFLASH: If you work with a buyer’s agent:

1. They really don’t care all that much about you either. They want to close the deals.
  2. The best deals never get sold to someone that doesn’t use the listing agent.
  3. If you’re relying on your agent to “protect your interests” you’re probably get your ass handed to you sooner or later on a home not to mention a mobile home park. It’s on you to know how to conduct and do your due diligence.

I prefer to deal directly with the listing agent. Their motivation is only to sell. Having your own agent simply puts another potential miscommunication link in the system.
Because the selling agents primary motivation is to sell I find it is very easy to manipulate them into encouraging there client to accept your offer. An agent would not have the same latitude as I do working directly with the sellers agent. Can’t completely trust agents as they are all part of the same good old boys club. I have heard agents make half hearted efforts to sell offers they believe are too low. They are terrible at negotiations based on my personal experience. They usually just present your offer with a wink and a nod.

2 Likes

Broker always looks out for themselves! We have never had a good experience with brokers