Legal non-conforming/ Zoning question

I am researching a small park right now and have come across a little big issue:

18 POH and an SFR. Currently all in great condition and being used as rentals in great neighborhood.

The park is grandfathered in and the area is zoned for single family. My biggest concern is if a mobile home burns down, natural disaster strikes, etc. I would be out of a home and not able to bring a new home in. The city is telling me and the zoning codes point to the inability to bring in a new home in any of these scenarios.

Also, the codes show that mobile home communities must have 15ft spacing between homes. And areas zoned SF must have 2 parking spaces. A few of the homes do not have 15 ft spacing and I am unsure regarding 2 parking spaces at the moment.

Everything I am reading from the city code book and what the city planner has explicitly stated says that I can never bring in a new home. This appears to be a huge business risk, especially in a small park.

I have not attended the courses, so this topic is probably well understood between ya’ll. If you need me to quote the codes directly or have more questions, please ask.

Thanks and appreciate the input!

Cameron

Which state is the park located in? There are sometimes rules in place that supersede local codes. Texas recently passed some legislation that allows owners the right to replace units.

“S.B. 1248 says that for nonconforming communities the owner has at least 12 months to replace a home that leaves the community, and they can do so on the lot footprint that existed when the community was originally grandfathered as a nonconforming use.”

full article detailing the bill TMHA | TMHA's 85th Session Recap

Ultimately, it might be difficult to find homes the right size to fit the spaces, the trouble with the city might not be worth the fight, etc, but if you think there is real value in the project it would be worthwhile to reach out to your state’s association, as they may already know the answer or be fighting the battle for the owners.

Thanks Casey,

The property is in Oklahoma- just outside of Tulsa.

I will check in with the state regulations.

Cam