HUD approved concrete pads

We are moving some new homes from Adventure homes and 2 of the pads that were there with all of the utilities ready to go and concrete poured apparently wont pass hud guidelines.

Do you know of any ways to work around this? They are not sloped properly and we dont really have anywhere to drain because of elevation. The options our concrete guy and I discussed are in the 3-5k range. At that point I think it best to just move used homes onto those sites as we are around 10k/pad for a new lot on some of the sites we can use already.

When does it ever make sense to upgrade concrete pad to hud standards or are there any ways to get creative and get it so hud inspector will approve? It’s for our park in Illinois.

1 Like

Glad you posted. We’re dealing with the same crap in Michigan. We have existing full concrete pads in great shape but to my knowledge HUD has only approved concrete piers for installation of new homes (pads are okay for used homes).

2 Likes

I dont think this is what you are looking for as it sounds like the shift needs to be more radical.

On sloping , in TX, we use this thing called “mud jacking” , also goes by the name concrete raising ,where they drill a hold and fill in a mud slurry underneath ( primality for leveling sidewalks or changing the pitch of drainage) .

Here is a picture of a parking pad we use to level out . It has its limitations based on how much you need to pitch but figured id toss it out there in case its something that might work .

4 Likes

At least in my state everyone is still really confused by the HUD rules. If you had three different installers take a look at your existing pad you might end up with three different ‘solutions’.

Slope of the surrounding dirt- this can be regraded (usually)

Slope of the pad - this can be usually fixed by pouring gravel (pricey!) and placing the vapor barrier over it.

Existing concrete pads - it should be technically possible to block over the existing pads to meet frost protections standards, as opposed to breaking up the concrete and installing piers. Finding both a contractor and inspector who understands how to do this can be a tall order though. On the last new homes I moved in we broke up the concrete. I knew there was an easier way to do it, but my installer didn’t know how, and I didn’t want to hold up the project.

My only suggestions would be go with used homes, or have a few different installers take a look at it so you can get a few different opinions.

3 Likes

There is no difference for new homes vs used homes in Michigan. HUD has required me to pour piers for both. i f the home is “new” to the park, it has to have poured piers. Of note, I’m buying a park in New Mexico and the building inspector said I could put in right on the ground. What a country.

HUD doesn’t oversee the installation of previously set homes.

Show this to your local building inspector, in regards to Michigan:

1 Like

Who are the local experts in these rules? The installers? We are brand new to this. Luckily my park in only 7 lots and in a rural area where people care about safe and clean over federal rules.

The experts are the manufacturers engineers - there is misinformation at the local government level. In our cases the city inspectors had not been provided with up to date information from the state.

Does anyone know which states require HUD approved concrete pads and piers?