How to sell a home on payments?

I own a park in Michigan and have 10 homes I just purchased and I have no idea how to sell these homes legally? any ideas?

I hired an attorney to help me draft seller financed documents. I could not have done this myself.

Wait until early next year when everyone gets their tax returns and they have cash

You will probably need to get a dealer’s license. This is no big deal. See the Michigan Dep’t of LARA Building Codes division etc.

You will need to withhold and forward to SOS the sales tax of 6% on the sales price.

If you don’t have the actual physical title from DMV/SOS I think you will need to get certificate of title, sign over to new person, and take certificate of title to DMV/SOS for updating their ownership records. You may be able to do some of this by affidavit & “bill of sale.”

If you want to sell on credit (time), you are opening a whole other can of worms.

Brandon@Sandell

Target buyers that either have the cash to purchase (empty nesters downsizing) or those able to qualify for bank loans.
That is normally how existing home owners are able to find buyers. You need to raise your community standards to attract a higher standard demographic.

Don’t forget that you are also subject to mortgage broker rules in most states. That is, you have to have a licensed professional originate the loan. And that includes sales contracts for the purchase of mobile homes in any form under Dodd/Frank. Many folks ignore this, until they have a problem. And then it is a big problem.

1 Like

Can a local residential real estate broker be used to facilitate a sale of a home if there is no mortgage taken back by the seller? A commission or fee would have to be negotiated but hopefully less painful than dealing with Dodd Frank?

In my state you need to comply with mobile home dealer license requirements to sell mobile homes. Most have some carve out for occasional sales in a park, but that is a state by state system you need to check on where you live. I don’t use realtors, but sometimes we use title offices when large checks are being exchanged and there are pro rated items to deal with like taxes.

I would contact the Michigan Mobile Home association and ask them for guidance. Every time I have called they have been really helpful.
Michigan Manufactured Housing Association (MMHA)
2222 Association Dr, Okemos, MI 48864
(517) 349-3300

I have had 2 lawyers (Michigan lawyers) tell me to sell them on an personal property installment sale. I will most likely have one of them write one up for me. My park also has about 10 POH I would love to sell, hard to do for cash but in payments I could spin them in a heart beat. I could sell these homes on payments, and with the lot rent it is still cheaper than renting an apartment…yet the Government needs to protect “poor” people from evil slum lords like me. Frustrating to say the least.

1 Like

I am not a park owner, but rather a dealer. Prior to Dodd-Frank, we carried financing using a basic promissory note template that was state approved. We experienced a state audit that helped us get things right. Post Dodd-Frank, we decided to migrate to a cash sale model with no financing offered, with the exception of an occasional lease-to-purchase structured deal. Our new model led us to a completely new buyer customer profile. We now typically sell our pre-owned inventory to park owners, almost exclusively.

1 Like