How to enforce lot cleaniness?

Please be specific, is there fines? Do you send someone to clean it up and charge them on their rent? Most tenants have no sheds can require that they have sheds? should I file eviction if its too bad? not sure what to do?

I send written notice clearly pointing out the Community riles regarding lot maintenance and tenant responsibilities. They are provided X days or weeks to clean up and if they do not I serve a eviction notice.
Fairly straight forward and simple approach. Nothing else will achieve results if the tenants do not care. These tenants will never keep their lots tidy and should probably be terminated.
We do not have the right to non renew a tenants lease other wise that would be my response to difficult tenants that never keep their lots tidy.

Serve them a notice and fine them. Money is something they clearly understand. A tidy lot, not so much.

Say on a weekly walk through, get a list of violations along with pictures. Have a letter go out to the tenant with the picture and you can reference the rule violation in the lease. If it doesnt get resolved, do second notice. Then additionally, if that does not do it , you can do 3rd notice with clean up charge assessed ( if permissible) . I like that system a lot because its also good documentation, seems to be what a lot of HOAs do , so thats pretty much where we have pulled it from…

1 Like

The reality is that if a tenant is not prepared to comply with community rules, after receiving notification, a fine will be useless as well. If they do not follow rules why would they pay a fine.
When a tenant refuses to comply with a notice a landlord, in order to maintain authority, has only one option…terminate the release.
All other avenues are simply an attempt by the landlord to avoid having to do the inevitable.
When a tenant refuses to comply with community rules you get rid of them and find a tenant that does respect a lease otherwise before you know it you are selling a turnaround park…

Clean it up and fine them the cost. We charge $60 per hour and fees to dump. Note it as a violation of the lease then start sending notices of eviction. One thing we did years ago was we had a filthy tenant so we paid the local tow truck driver a $100 to go and measure his trailer and ask if he could look under it for the wheels and axles. Classic move but we never had a problem with that guy again.

3 Likes