How can I prove the integrity of our sewer line in the park to the township?

We are in process of connecting to public sewer.

We do not want to replace the existing sewer lines. However, the township requires us to prove them to the integrity of our collection system prior to progressing with further planning.

We did provide them video of the lines but it was not enough.

Are there some kind of meter we can use?

Any suggestions would be helpful !!

Depending on the configuration of your lines and placement of cleanouts you could potentially perform a hydrostatic pressure test in sections to demonstrate the lines are good.

This would be a ton of work so it would be nice if the city would be a bit more prescriptive about what they’re looking for instead of just saying, “no we don’t like that, please try again.”

I am not 100% confident that they are good . However, I want to do some tests at least before investing money in replacing them.

I would rather fix issues then replace them. I might be wrong.

Would the City accept signed letters from local experts (plumbers, leak detection companies, etc) that state that the system is sound?

The two standard ways are video and pressure test. What kind of pipe do you have? The bottom line is you need the city to give you specifications on what they will except

I am interested to hear how this was resolved. If you were just connecting to their system, and not asking them to take over ownership of your pipes, then they should primarily be concerned with inflow and infiltration into your system. One way to measure this would be to install a flow meter in the downstream manhole of your system to compare flow rates vs. the amount of water coming into the community.

The tough part will be that the flow rates are so low that it will be difficult to accurately measure. In that case you will probably end up having to install an internal liner in your pipes.

2 Likes